Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stretch Model A Pickup Cabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studearch, Jul 26, 2013.

1. I have an opportunity to get a 29 pickup phonebooth and of course they're small inside. I'd like to know if anyone has stretched the cab by lenthening the doors, keeping the B-pillar stock size.

I've played around with some photos to see what I could come up with. Is this a feasible idea? I know cabs stretched through the B-pillar are available, but it seems that it might be easier to stretch the cab through the doors since you can work the window and glass and the wood roof framing and shorten the bed. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. 55willys

55willys

Stretching through the doors may seem easy but it is not. There is more crown than you think there is and it is very hard to keep it looking right as it gets longer. It is better to do it in the rear cab area as it is only curved vertically and not both directions like the door.

The cab corner is easy enough to make if you have a brake, bead roller, and shrinker. I think you can buy them already made.

The cab is small but if the seat is done right and the firewall is left intact there is enough room for 6'+ people. I have installed a small block chevy in an A without cutting the firewall and using a mechanical fan. The rear head should clear the firewall by 1/4" and the same for the fan using a Zipper high rise water pump adapter and a 6 cylinder water pump. The key to the seat is to have almost no padding on the back and slant it just enough to be comfortable. If you need more info PM me. Hope this helps. Jim (55willys)

3. Jack, 55 willys is right about the 2 differant curves, best 2 do behind the door.
    That green truck looks very familiar.
    Been in my old shop many times

Attached Files:

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You can buy 28-29 cab corners from Bert's Model A in Denver. I bought mine corners with a 6-1/2" stretch. They're made by Howell and the fit was spot on. Top wood is tricky as is the subframe. I understand that somebody is making subframes that are also stretched. A pair of BesTop CJ-7 Jeep seats are a perfect fit.

5. badshifter

badshifter

Build it right in the firewall area and seat back, and you'll have enough room. The tall phone-booth look is what makes these trucks, and stretching it ruins that look.

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

That's a matter of opinion! At 6'1" it works for me.

Attached Files:

7. modeleh

modeleh

Badshifter was right. The proof is in the pudding.

8. I agree with you.

Denis,I'm sure it is a matter of opinion and no disrespect to you and you did a great job but the proportions just don't work for me,,looks bobbed. HRP

9. 22 track

22 track

10. I have seen one of these,,the work is nice both they still have a strange look,,it appears as though the frame needs to be stretched also,JMHO. HRP

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  11. Magneto349

Magneto349

If you get your seat setup right and have a tilt column in them, they really are not that bad. I`m 6`2 and I can fit in mine just fine. But I wouldn't go on any log distance trips with one. Stretching the cab isnt a bad idea, but if your going to go to that extreme you might as well get a 5 window coupe or sedan. I`ve seen them stretched, they look strange. A friend of mine has a crew cab one though, looks pretty neat!

12. woodypecker

woodypecker

I have a 31 and I am 6' and considerably overweight. I had two options lose 40 pounds or make room. I moved seat up about 4 inches and put in a straight back with 2 inches of padding and my tummy misses the steering by 3 inches and plenty of leg room and am happy with my choice. When and if I can lose the 40 pounds I will have lots of room.