Register now to get rid of these ads!

Strength of drilled axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrod60, Jun 30, 2006.

1. jrod60

jrod60
    from Katy, TX

As cool as it looks, it seems to me that drilling a bunch of holes in the front axle will weaken it considerably. Maybe its not too bad on a smaller car, but what about under the front of, say, my 60 F100? Also, does this have any effect on bending the axle for alignment purposes?
    Thanks,
    Jared

ps: searched, saw some cool ones, but no comments to integrity.

2. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Yeah, I've seen entire threads on this same issue. Some of the engineers on here have even done Inventor models about it...Lemme see what I can find.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

If you're handy with a calculator and can find a Machinery's Handbook - flip to the Strength of Materials section and look up the equation for an I beam. You will be able to make a fairly precise comparison to see what size hole is least invasive.

Granted an I beam gets the majority of it's strength from the top and bottom "plates" and of course the distance between them. Removing metal from the center web is relatively minor in reducing it's overall strength, but you HAVE reduced the strength some. The other - probably more ignorred factor is the hole's that are put in - having sharp edges is bad mojo (stress risers) - you're better off to smooth everything over - at least a decent chamfer.

If it were me I would try and use some common sense - finding a suitable I beam to drill is the first step. SOMETIMES BIGGER IS BETTER.

4. 47bob

47bob

Holes dont effect it much as the load bearing is near the ends where there are no holes. Holes may effect the twisting of the axle so it might last only 15 years instead of 20.

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

you ever seen a broken drilled axle? it isn't going to make that much of a difference. like said above, the web between the upper and lower beam doesn't offer much strength to the total package. i've seen fabricated i beams that are made from a T shaped beam top and bottom, with the web filled with evenly spaced diamond shaped plates, say 4" long with 4" of space between each one. i've seen a few axles with slots milled instead of holes, if the slots are long, it could be a concern, but drilled holes...don't sweat it.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just an observation. An axle with holes drilled in it is usually done for looks under a fenderless car. The axle is exposed and the holes give it a competition look. Why would you want to drill holes in an axle that you can't see? Doesn't make any sense to me and it's remotely possible that you might be compromising the strength of the piece. As I see it it's just another example of WHY?

Frank

7. tysond

tysond

Wasn't it done on old race cars to alow the axle to twist more?

8. I thought it was to reduce drag. :D

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

to make it lighter....

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

You know, I really have never ever ever seen EVEN a picture of a broken or twisted drilled axel.

11. jrod60

jrod60
    from Katy, TX

Alright, good to know. I have no immediate plans for this, mostly just curiosity. And true, the axle under the truck is not that easily visible. Thanks

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

How hard is it to frill one, can you do it with different size hole saws or does it havre to be done on a milling machine or drill press with expesive tools?

13. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Stressed Out posted data on this subject search archives.