Register now to get rid of these ads!

Streetable belly tank: can you ID this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VespaJay, Oct 16, 2003.

1. VespaJay

VespaJay

Attached Files:

2. VespaJay

VespaJay

Pic #2. Looks like it was built way back when by someone who really knew what they were doing. Somebody's gotta know the history of it; anyone got any info to share? Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. VespaJay

VespaJay

4. sawzall

sawzall

wow

it wasnt that long ago the thing was sold at auction.. and it was at hershey? where?? I wish i had seen it.

dont know much about it except that I think its pretty cool..

later

sawzall

5. whizzerick

whizzerick

CIRCA 1950 ROADSTER BUILT BY GEORGE CONDON, WHO OWNED CONDON SPEEDWAY, A STOCK CAR RACE TRACK OPEN FROM 1954 TO 1959. THE BODY IS A WWII P38 LIGHTNING BELLY TANK, OR DROP TANK. THESE TANKS WERE AVAILABLE AS SURPLUS AND WERE POPULAR WITH BONNEVILLE SALT FLAT RACERS. EQUIPPED WITH A FLATHEAD V8, EDELBROCK HEADS, EDELBROCK INTAKE, TWIN 97 CARBS, AD A COLUMBIA TWO SPEED REAR. AN ORIGINAL, WELL PRESERVED RACING ROD.

It sold for 46500$ at the auction:
    Here is a link to the Kruse auction results:
    results

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That thing is even cooler out in the day light! I wish I had seen it Thursday. I'd have gotten some detail shots. I'd love to smoke that thing over close. Thanks

7. The auction was the day after the big hurricane hit(Isabell) The car sold for just under $25,000. There was a lot of cool stuff there. I left with two truck loads(thanks Tommy)A friend said the old guy also had a 34 coupe but that was not at the auction.
    Clark

8. Oh yeah ...one of the cool items I got was the left over peices of exhaust from that car. The exhaust is 3 inch brass tubing. I got a 6 foot and a 4 foot peice.
    Clark

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Pretty nice profit for a few weeks investment! Of course he probably washed it and there are the auction fees... [​IMG]