Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street tires on todays prepped strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fogs58, Sep 12, 2011.

1. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

What is peoples experience on todays dragstrips with all the spraying on the track. Do the street tires hook up worse on the strip than they do on the street or better ? I'm wondering if the different tire compounds and spray at the launch pad make the street tire do worse than they even do on the street. If so has anyone tried lining up a little out of the groove to try to get them to hook a little better. Thanks

2. If you have ever walked on a well prepped track you know you better have your shoes laced on tight, or you will walk right out of them. Street tires will hook up a little better on the stickey stuff then on the street or unprepped track. Just dont roll through the water or do some crazy burnout, especialy with modern radials. If your making good power, dont expect neck snapping bite either.

3. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Thanks. That pretty much answers it for me. I wondered about the compound difference. Wasnt quite sure how to word it. The car I'm messin with will set and smoke em from a dead stop on a 275/60 radial. Thanks

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

omit the burnout completely

5. Having just come back from a weekend race helping my buddy with his car, there's nothing that beats a freshly prepped track. They dragged and sprayed the track and used rosin where needed. Our car on drag radials was running right at it's best 60, 1.26.

I think getting a little heat into some street tires, why not... What's better cold, or hot. Clearly hot. But I would just do a short one. If the tires are usually at 30 psi cold, you could drop them down, won't hurt either.

If you see bald spots at the starting line, you can line up just next to them, but don't get too crazy because then you might end up outside of the groove.

6. I run 255/70/15 BFG radials on the street. I run 10 in wrinkle walls on the track. The difference is 2.65 60 foot times on radials and 1.55 60 foot times on slicks!!

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

hot street tires are just that much more greasy than cold tires. just sharing my experience.

a well prepped track is all you can hope for when running(ruining) street tires

8. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Thanks for the tips. I went T&T tonite. Chevelle 402 BB auto. 275/60-15 street tires on rear. Did no burnouts. Car was spinning pretty hard. I had to feather it up at of the hole. 2.22 was the best I could do in 60ft. Ended up with 24 psi in em on the final run. Here was my best lap. I was pleased.