Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Street Rodders are getting old...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Aug 22, 2010.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I know I'm certainly not getting any younger. Went to a show this weekend, the "Elvis Memorial Rod Run", right here in beautiful downtown Hickory Corners, on the grounds of the Gilmore Car Museum. This has been a long running show, but the host club is calling it quits after this year. Too much work, the club members are aging, having a hard time getting help and/or younger folks involved in helping put an event on. Things run their course.

See a little of what we did here:

http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Didn't take many photos, rained much of Saturday morning, then were busy "hanging out" the rest of the day.

Brian

Attached Files:

2. freebird101

freebird101

nice looking show, it stinks getting old, I'm only 14 so I have no idea, its what I hear from my dad:D

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Is the Elvis Memorial in reference to Elvis Presley? If so, I think most kids equate that to boring do-wop......that might be a turn-off.

4. Muttley

Muttley

No, I'm pretty sure it's referring to Sonny's pet alligator on Miami Vice. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAHAHAHA!

Nice Muttley!!

Doc.

PS, Im not getting Old........ever........:rolleyes:

6. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

I'd like to know who's getting younger, and how they're doing it

7. Street Rodders are getting old...

Maybe, but us Hot Rodders are gunna be always young and wild...

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's the point...;)

9. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

as a "rodder' even older than i once stated, "it ain't gettin' down its the gettin' up". sad but true my friends.

10. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

"You're never too old to have a happy childhood."

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

SECONDED:D
    Paul

12. The same thing happened with my CC. One of the best Shows in the area for years, but time march's on...

13. Skidmarks - Open up the picture...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  14. OH MY DOD!!!!!! The ultimate gold chainer!!!!!!!

15. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Hot rodders are timeless

16. I thought that was Mr. T ...

Car shows in general have had it rough this year, a lot of the AACA restored car shows aren't doing so well for the same reasons - members getting older, not enough younger people joining, turnouts have been lower, I've heard rumors of more shows calling it quits. It's a lot of work to try to run one, and it's harder and harder to find volunteers. The NRHS chapter here has the same problems, they have to actually pay people to staff parts of their big train show in the fall.

On the bright side, it means when I'm like 80, I'll be able to afford a '32 if I want one.

17. grf-x

grf-x

Ain't it a shame. If their not walking around within their underwear showing yelling yo yo, then their listing EMO complaining about thier feelings and how hard they have it. PLEASE, they don't even know the meaning of sacrifice or getting involved (not all are bad).

Now i had renewed faith this weekend, when my 3yr old autistic son got mad at the wife and I when we turned off the Streamliners cd (to have a conversation). The streamliners is a local Rockabilly band. I had no idea this appealed to him, but I should have know when he started calling ALL hotrods... Hot Wheels. LOL. I am so proud. :D Even time we go to the auto parts store, he heads straight for the toy rack and ask's politely for a hot wheel. HE doesn't grab those new models, he reaches for old school bodies.

18. Yes, I'm getting old. The old guy in the mirror tells me that every morning. But, I was there and did that in the 60's, and I wouldn't trade those memories for the pain free body and 29" waist I had in '62. Every one of these gray hairs and wrinkles have been earned through hard work and having fun, and I'm proud of 'em!!

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

The biggest vendor at the last NSRA show I went to was the "Hover Round" electric carts booth. No joke.

20. They did it to them selves the day they kicked Ryan out of OKC.:D Bet they wish they would have hired him now!

21. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Oh, a wise guy, eh?! :D

In all seriousness, I had no idea if this was a "memorial" show for an unfortunate person in their club named Elvis, or what. Thanks for clearing it up, Muttley. :)

22. OH MY GOD! ...I can't even imagine that. Did they have slammed, flamed versions with chrome everything?

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I was just a kid when Dean had his car on that Hot Rod cover and now I am an old fart that listens to that "boring Do wop" music and still enjoys the hell out of it.
    But yes a lot of the guys have been the mainstay of putting on long running events are getting older an thinner in numbers and some of the events that they have put on are fading away with them.

24. And 6" tall scale sized crybabie dolls?:D

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Kiss my ass!!!:D I am not getting older my body is just wearing out. The heart and soul is still there. Actually I'm doing pretty well when you consider the alternative. You either get older or you die. I'll take the former so far.

Most people have no idea what goes into putting on a show. It's a lot of work. More than just showing up on Sunday to direct the parking. After many years the volunteers probably want to enjoy the show and not have a year round part time job.

26. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I hope so!!!!!! I went to the Streetrod shows in the 80's and liked the DoWops and now I like the Hunnert and the Jalopy Showdown ( my two favorite shows by the way) I am 47 going on 18 and having fun at all these new shows just like I did when I was 18.Try it yourself you might like it,I won't tell anyone.....

27. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Most of the local guys that come out are in their 60's. There are a few of us younger guys (30's and 40's). I think a big part of it is MONEY. I know a lot of young guys come and look at the cars but it is so damn exspensive to build a car nowdays and with raising a family, piss poor jobs, etc. a lot of guys can't afford the toys. I would like to think this will change as people become more secure (money)!
    We were lucky enough to have a father that was/is a hotrodder and most of the "old" guys that come out we have know for 30 plus years.

28. Ther was a booth at the Goodguys show,in O C with Rascals! Basically,an electric wheelchair.

29. Yep, and half the guys that were renting them didn't need them, were just lazy and mad that they can't bring there high dollar golf carts to most shows anymore.
    In Louisville we watched them drive by the booth all day and figured out that the biggest handicap that 90% of them had was FAT and LAZY!!

30. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

A 29'' waist, huh? Damn, I got old at a young age :D...

It always strikes me to see how many youngsters do the hotrod thing, but it might be different over here.