Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street light help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eddytheb, Mar 6, 2011.

1. eddytheb

eddytheb

I have a Crouse Hinds "Porthole" signal circa 1926/1932 street light that I am restoring for the shops new office and need to know what would be the right color for this light for the era it is from. We have striped all the old pant of and it looks to have been yellow before it was painted red. Also looking for parts if any one can help.

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I think they were all yellow

B:)B

3. Please post a pic of the light. Thanks!

Jim

4. eddytheb

eddytheb

5. eddytheb

eddytheb

6. Thanks for posting the pic. Very interesting Crouse-Hinds light! My experience has found most older C-H lights were painted a dark green, although I have seen a few that were silver color. Here are pics of my Crouse-Hinds traffic lights (all with "eyebrow" lenses). You should be able to locate some of the original paint under the gaskets on the doors. That would guide you to what color to refinish the light. Good luck with your project.

Jim

Attached Files:

7. Nice light but it's a traffic light!;)

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That's what I get for thinking when I am not used to it.

B:eek:B

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

too early in the morning to engage the brain?

or, in my case, i just dont bother! :D

10. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

paint it red, that green looks crappy.

11. eddytheb

eddytheb

From what I can tell from all the sand blasting it it was yellow then red. I am going to use it in the corner of the front office right over a mural we are doing on the walls, opposite the service counter. I am doing the mural in all gray / bronze tones so it looks like a old photo from the past. I am using a few items like the street sorry traffic light to make it semi 3d but do I do yellow or the same tones as the wall art.

The service counter is done like a old service desk for the past I have been looking hard for a photo of a service department like it I saw some were on here a wile ago if you know the look post phots or link please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

the art deco feel of the bulkhead rules. paint it a faded looking yellow... let the fixture blend into the rest of the artwork/colors/architecture, and let the lights themselves be the part to stand out.