Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Legal FEDs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcm65, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

Hey all, I've seen a couple pictures of FED style street cars floating around here and have always liked the idea.
    anyone got any more pics or info/stories of cars like these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  2. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Holy shit!

Deuces likes this.
  3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

gulp and yipes come to mind

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I bet they ride and handle *real nice*... LOL :D

Deuces likes this.

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

no matter how "legal" they are youd still get dicked around by the cops over here

Deuces likes this.
  6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

they look about as nice as they ride .

Deuces likes this.
  7. Used to be one here in New Zealand back in the 70s. I think it was called "Chevotion" from memory. I'll see if I can find a pic.

8. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

Thats what I was thinking

Deuces likes this.
  9. rooman

rooman

The Ford cammer powered car was originally built by Bill Fredricks (of Budweiser rocket car fame) and was genuinely street driven. If I remember correctly it also ran mid to high 8's when he took it to the strip. It has Corvette based rear suspension and a radiator located in the rear. Car Craft featured in in one of their Street Freaks issues.
    I have posted these pix before in other threads but obviously some of you have not seen them. I built this car for a customer a few years back and it was also street driven. It has an 88" H-D motor along with a Toyota pickup gearbox and rear end. The rear is located with a triangulated four link and is coil sprung with a rising rate linkage and it rides great. I drove it quite a bit while sorting it out before handing it over to the owner and it works great. Remember that the wheelbase is no longer than a duallie so it is no problem around the suburbs, you just need to get used to sitting in the "trunk".

Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

no,,just say no

11. In the Woodward corridor and along Gratiot and Telegraph - Here in greater Detroit, Guys didn't care back in the 60's & 70's.
    They would unload FEDs and Pro Stockers and make passes on the street... They used to say "License plates are for people who intend to get caught"

Risky business, but fun to watch :eek:

Deuces likes this.
  12. Search street legal dragsters, there is another in depth thread on the same subject.

Deuces likes this.
  13. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

After watching "Munster go home", iI wanted to do the same thing. Just because not many have gone this route, doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. The big deal is getting the proportions/stance right.

Deuces likes this.
  14. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

thanks for the info rooman. suprising to hear it had irs, must have made the seating realy cramped especially with the car that low. anybody got any shots of the suspension or interior?

15. rooman

rooman

The best that I can do is post the scans that I did of the original Car Craft story. I met Bill Fredricks when he toured Australia with the Courage of Australia rocket dragster and also got to know his brother in law who ended up living in Adelaide (South Australia) for some time after the tour. Tom was the one who told me that the car really was street driven and also ran once at an AHRA drag meet.

Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLE442 likes this.
  16. falfas55

falfas55

Anybody got any pictures of Mike Minette's street dragster from the Dallas Texas area?

Deuces likes this.
  17. gasmonkey

gasmonkey

Just found it!!! Mike Minette,s street dragster commonly referred to as The Digger .....
    This has a lot of Dallas history, was featured in many magazines, and is truly a work of art.
    I will post pictures this evening.
    It is back home only 100 yards from Mikes shop and he will be assisting in returning it to it's former unbelievable glory!

If anyone has old pics from the past please send them to me as we will be detailing the story and the build.
    Thanks
    Richard R

Deuces likes this.
  18. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

thanks for the scans rooman. I love that car. I didn't realize the front suspension was so wild, any idea whats going on up there? whats this setup called?

19. |Tom|

|Tom|

Wild and Awesome...

Deuces likes this.
  20. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Seems to me that with a car like that the stance would be the least of your worries.

LOL!

21. rooman

rooman

The Woody Gilmore dragster version was called the "trick car" but it was an independent set up with wishbones and had the shocks mounted laterally.
    Basically this is a triangulated four link with a rising rate linkage operating the coil overs--pretty much what I put in the back of the H-D powered car.

Roo

22. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

found a pic of the ifs set up you are talking about. its a thing of beauty. I guess ifs can look good...
    [​IMG]

23. There are some more here on the Righteous Machine Corp. August 2011 blog. It's a killer blog period, lots of early choppers and show rods.

24. rcoffey

rcoffey

I WANT ONE!!!!! choped 34 has one that he is restoring looks way cool

25. I took that first image at the '79 Street Rod Nationals in St. Paul. Here's another shot of the engine. I thought it was a Way Cool car. Search for the other thread on these cars and you'll find more images and discussions.
    [​IMG]

26. More research options for ya: Locate the August 1974 issue of Car Craft for another "street digger" style oddity.
    [​IMG]

27. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike drove the digger from Dallas to Tulsa for the Street Rod Nationals in 1973. He towed a rather ragged looking little trailer that carried the slicks and floor jack behind it.

He caused quite a stir as a some of the hard core 48 & earlier guys didn't think it belonged at the event.
    We passed the digger going the other way on Sunday as it was headed out to the dragstrip for the Sunday goings on towing the little trailer.

He also had one of the slickest and best handling little T buckets anywhere that had quarter elliptic springs on all four corners.

Deuces likes this.