Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street/Gasser clutch & transmission? Recomendations?? What works??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldguard, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Looking for advice from those who run sticks on the street and the strip with decent reliability, what works, what diddn't? I am building 511 BBC, .680 solid roller, tunnel ram, etc, in a 1942 Chevrolet Coupe and have a 9" with Strange 35 spline Detroit Locker with carrier and axles so I feel it will hold the abuse on it's part. I have been looking at the Ram dual disc clutch/flywheel and I have a M21/Hurst Super Shifter but wonder if I should try to find a Nash, Jerico or such. I plan on driving it on the street and the goal is to drive it to the HAMB Drags and back and race it while there. Any ideas?

2. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Do you own a trailer?..............Nash, Jerico, G Force, Liberty in that order....survive the drags and get you home?...........maybe any of them...the M21 most likely will not.

We run a Jerico...pretty reliable behind our ole Ford...but I have broken every part in one over the years...not clutchless for sure...

Most drag trans do not down shift ...easily....Jerico makes one that they call a "road race" trans...we had one for a while and I converted it over to drag only...With any steep rear gears that thing is gonna be a handful on the interstate.......lol

Btw...Micheal Rea here in the Dallas area had a nice Jerico for sale...chevy input..I have his number at the shop if you want to give him a call.

Good luck
    Mark

3. I have after much research decided that a Jerico is what I need for Project Wildthing. I talked to several local racers and with the engine it has, it is the only choice. Thanks for the input texoutsider. I called the tech at Jerico and he said as you recommened that a "roadrace" synchro and the softer "drag" gears would be the best blend for a street/strip car and still live. Anyone else here running these?
    [​IMG]

4. 65 Imp SS

65 Imp SS
    from central mn

Above tranny's are good choices just wanted to suggest another,
    Auto gear http://autogear.net/ag_archive/index.htm and talk to George they manufacture them. They have an M22 supercase which is there HD model and has a few different choices for gear ratio's.

5. CalGasser

CalGasser

I've had a Muncie M21 in my street/gasser for over 20 years. It has a McLeod hydraulic TO bearing and 10 1/2" diaphram clutch. I don't abuse the car but it does well on the street with a blown & injected SBC putting out over 600 ponies. It's pretty radical but mild enough for the street so it's not a full on race engine. Others may dispute but this works for me.

6. 5096PS

5096PS
    from iowa

Jericho,,,for sure. Long Shifter if you want to screw around getting into low gear at a stop sign,,but ,you really cant miss the shift on the way up. I love em,,,and really take a pounding.

7. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

whats the cost on those i want one

8. Thesetrannys are around 3 large and a shifter depending on brand, Hurst or Long are $5-800, while not a cheap deal, it is a reasonable price for no worries as a torque motor in a heavy car will destroy most gearboxes I am told. The ultimate I suppose is a Liberty dual shaft clutchless box at 8 large but these are not even a "street" trans. The nice thing about a Jerico is it is a great crossover box, even for us "Street/Gasser" guys.

9. Well Hell!! Now I have stepped the engine up with a 8-71 and dual 950 Holley Blower carbs, so I am questioning as to whether anyone here has run the ST1200 Lenco street transmission? A lot more money but breaking sucks so here I ask? I have talked to folks running the CS2 in all out drag cars but this is a street car with the ocasional trip down the strip. And really not that much power, more of a sheep in wolfs clothing deal, maybe 800HP with 91 and ?? 1000 with the wick turned up on race fuel. Feedback??

10. Lenco. Best of both worlds.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for reminding me why I run a TH400 in my mostly street, occasionally strip blown big block car. I splurged last time I did the trans (2004) by spending a grand total of $700 on it. New trans core, converter, complete high perf rebuild kit...

12. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Street/strip cars are always a compromise when it comes to gearing. To be truly effective, that motor will likely need to be in the 7k-7500 range in the top end of the track. With even a short 28" tire, that means mid 5s for gears. Definitely not highway friendly without an overdrive. If you gear it down to where it is reasonable on the highway, you'll be pulling 3rd gear at the track, and never touch 4th.

Given enough traction and torque, something will break eventually. I had good luck with an M21 in a 3800 lb car running 12s on slicks, but I knew I was taking a chance every time I dumped the clutch.

I switched to a Tremec a couple of years ago and have been happy with it. Not everybody else I talk to has been. If I had remembered it, I would have probably gone with a Doug Nash 5 speed.

I run a Ram ceramic puck style single disk, and it has been fine on both the street and track. It does chatter a little bit when I'm in heavy traffic, but I can live with that for a good hard bite.

Devin

13. mastadon

mastadon

I had no problems with the 18 spline A-833 Mopar trans behind a 550 horse HEMI in a 3800 pound car.My problem was blowing up clutch discs,after the second one blew I went with a RAM 6 puck metallic disc and custum made presure plate.No problems after that.

14. So I called Jerrico and they claim thier "Street" trans to handle up to 750HP and 650ft of torque in a 2800-3000lb street car, the race version up to 1200/900 in a 2400-2600lb chassis, but they do not recomend it for street use as it will not shift up except in load full throttle and absolutely no downshifting. Lenco claims thier ST1200 "Street" trans can handle 1200/950 in up to a 3500lb car reliably. They recommend changing the lube(10-30 motor oil non synthetic) every 750-1000 miles and to check the "tension preload" on the packs every other oil change, which with thier tool does not seem to bad to do with. Now I question as to how quick of an old car I really want or do I really want to drive it or ??? I really just want a quick street car to go to the HAMB Drags with and some of the local gasser meets, damnit! :D Decisions to make I guess......

15. squirrel

squirrel

If it's quick, and you're gonna drive it, either you'll break stuff or it won't be as quick as it could be. That's life.

You should look into the clutch turbo setup, that way you get 3 pedals and a stout trans.

16. 69fury

69fury

this. and if any one says "they're too violent on the street, dood" tell them to shut the hell up, cuz the clutch pedal remains functional after the launch, bonehead.....

buddy of mine just put one behind a 1200hp turbo big inch modmotor in his mustang-wished i hadn't passed on that one, but i'll put one in my Falcon gasser eventually.

rick

17. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Lenco useing one in truuck in avatar 432 ,injected,on methonal around 800 hp its an old unit cs1 street strip useage 4 spd. Make shure you have the best brakes you can afford there is no down shifting with a lenco unit. Its a blast to drive

18. squirrel, I have taken a second look at the clutchturbo, I have seen a few but not investigated them, after reseaching them I guess they are a "period" piece from the 60's. Does anyone here have any real time expierence with them? I have not found much on a real street car use and wanting to know the "feel" and reliability issues. There is one on Evil Bay now for decent money.

19. FEDER

FEDER

Broken Jericos and G Forces arent worth much. Ever see a broken Lenco for sale?
    Lots of Buddies run jericos in N/SS. Seems like when the hit the mid 9s some have problems. Ofcoarse these guys RACE these cars HARD. For the extra few grand a st 1200 lenco could payoff in the long run. Gonna put one in a 65 Comet this fall for a friend.
    Theres some good vidios of a 66 or 7 Fairlane with a stroker smallblock and a st lenco
    at the MEGA FORD WEEKEND site. He has been running this trans since 2002 I believe. His car was a mule for lenco in the development of the trans from what Im told.
    DEEP pockets required, besides trans-bell housing then the clutch assy is another thing that can cost megabucks. Good luck with Youre decision. Watch racejunk for trannies
    and clutch assys. You might score a used one for a good price. FED

20. squirrel

squirrel

A friend put a clutch turbo in his "gasser style" 31 chevy behind a blown pontiac. He did have some clutch problems, you need to make sure you have enough clutch to hold onto your engine. The trans itself seems to work ok. He hasn't put many miles on it, but I did go for a couple rides around town. Full manual reverse pattern valve body, seems to drive like a standard trans except you don't need to use the clutch to shift.

There probably are not many guys running them in regular street use, maybe you could start another thread asking about if anyone does?

I'm pretty sure the invention of the high stall converter put an early end to the need for the clutch turbo or clutch flite trans. But it's good to see a few coming back into use, if only to confuse the young folks

21. And what shifter to use? I see the listing for the repop B&M series 60 but they appear to only make a 727 gate at this time. Any other ideas for a vintage shifter if I do go the Clutchturbo?

22. After much debate and realizing the power modern engines (disguised as old!) can make and still be semi streetable, I have decided although not completely period, the Lenco is the way to go as I fear broken parts and stuff coming thru the floorboard at me! :D I have decided on a ST1200 5 speed, yeah, not cheap but what is? Now for a clutch to button this up. Won't be long and I will have enough parts to start the build thread on this car.

23. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

You're going to love it. I've run one for the last four years, and taken it apart twice for inspection, and to change gear ratios, and the only thing that I have had to replace is a $10.00 input shaft seal.
    The great thing is that you never have to use the clutch to shift.

24. bryan67gto

bryan67gto
    from Salem,WI

ran a Richmond super T-10 for years both street/strip. 67 GTO 472 E head motor rand mid 9's with 4 speed no major prob. except few broken driveshafts.

25. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

I broke my nash, then broke a faceplated richmon(liberty built) then bought a liberty 5200 (Up dated nash) and broke it twice this year.
    I dont know the RITE answer but I will say if you race it, you will break it.
    I wish I started with a lenco....would of saved money......I think

26. Hogride

Hogride

hi tim light 450 to 650 clutch cinderd iron puck disk and a top loader or jerrico . talk to mike duff at mdrc on modding top loader

27. Ordered the Lenco 5 speed! Two weeks and it should be here, damn it! Caught the "Big Winter Sale" for an extra 10% discount. Just like I tell my wife about Kohls, "Honey, we can't afford to save anymore money" :D Ordered it with the 10 spline 1 3/8 input and it come with the pilot bearing and Spicer style 1350 output yoke. Now to save up for the clutch! Here we go again! And I ordered a Dart 4.500 bore block with Chrysler lifter bore sizes and billet caps and deck o-rings, another "Big Sale Item"!! All these good deals are slowing down the project! :D

28. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

Nice purchase! I plan on leaving the ST1200 in my car when I retire it to street duty.

29. My father runs a clutch turbo400 behind his blown BBC. First gear requires the clutch, but then it shifts like a "regular" automatic. It may be outdated 70's racecar technology, but I like its uniqueness and the three pedals being used.