Register now to get rid of these ads!

street freak nova thrash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8FLEET9, Jun 17, 2010.

1. That looks good going down the road, I hope I don't wake up to a missing axle in my jeep some morning after this build....lol

2. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

at the alter boys jalopy jamboree
    [​IMG]

3. lorodz

lorodz

4. Twisted6

Twisted6

5. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

doing a lil spring cleaning on this load to get it ready for the 2011 boston world of wheels motorama room.

6. deucer62

deucer62
    from OK

I am so glad to have found this thread. I was considering a Jeep axle for a bit now on my 63 II, and is refreshing seeing someone else has used it with success...and the large axle ends don't look as bad as I had anticipated. From a lat 60s standpoint it rocks the "street freak" vibe hard, but originally I was after an early-mid 60s build. I was originally planning to install in it's factory orientation(front steer), but will now consider the flip...returns focus to the solid axle. Highway manners are quite important on this build, so I'm still between this and Sid's "undropped" axles.
    Good job on the gig and keep posting!!!
    Thanks!

7. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

i hope you dont mind im going to have to pick your brain on this front end im building a gasser really soon just got to find me a old car to cut up on the cheap .

i know how to weld and fab up parts really well but as far as setting up a straight axle i have no idea so i hope you dont mind im going to send you a PM .
    love this nova and your 55 your car made me want to build a gasser good work on both cars love em

8. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

All that and a snorkel scoop. I'm in love.

9. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

few shots from the boston world of wheels

10. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

11. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

another cool jeep axle to check out is from the early 2 wheel drive trucks (may have been in jeepsters, wagons too, not sure though). I beam axle with only a slight drop.....

[​IMG]

12. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

"ruined" another car today...

Attached Files:

13. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

still need to do some bodywork but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Cutting out the wheelwells around here ain't no biggie. They're usually rotted away anyways. LOL

15. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

You guys impress me....A cut out wheelwell,no bumpered street freak.
    Who'd of thunk that.
    You guys are working on a tight budget and your project is as as cool as can be.....keep up the good work.

16. daddylama

daddylama

really dig it with the cut wheelwells...
    looks like a blast :)

17. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

glad you like it, cuz we're planning on hosing it down with hugger orange in time for our club's season opener may 15th!:D

18. Dont say you're sorry for calling it a gasser. If the boys over at "Byron's Gassermadness" use it, I will too. Street Freak sounds too "Ziggy Stardust" to me. And yes I know all about what the NHRA rules said back then. Get over the rule book, ITS NOT 1960 something anymore. Oh by the way, GASSER GASSER GASSER.:D

19. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

a little more progress in the body work department. cut out & replaced the lower quarter, still need to do the same on the other side. we also lowered the rear by moving it up a few pegs on the "way too long" rear shackles. no pics of that yet.

Attached Files:

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think its more of a matter of that 8fleet9 doesnt want to come across like some clueless buffoon...

21. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

very cool build hope to see more

22. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

i wouldn't use any of that stuff. way too much work for no gain. the whole reason for using this axle in this car is it fits right in & you can keep the stock steering box & arm. as well as use off the shelf parts store jeep front end stuff. keep it simple.

we just used uni-lug wheels.

we cut the entire inner fenders off & braced the [motor] mounts with plate steel where they attach to the stock subframe.

re-read some of the initial build stuff, i think you missed some key info & where we're coming from with this build.

hahaha i actually laughed out loud. thanks!

i try to keep this thread updated as best as possible. my boss is getting married this month & we're swamped at the shop with 3 other rat rod refugees we're trying to make go down the road safely at the moment. so yeah progress has slowed a bit. but i'm sure we'll crank it up to get it all dolled up for milltown 5 in august!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  23. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

that sounds pretty rat roddish man...
    i [personally] would try to come up with some better parts.
    the rest of the info you're lookin for is in the thread.
    good luck.

24. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

what kind of brake master cylinder are you guys using? Does the car have stock rear drums?

parts store manual disc/drum.
    yes.

which shocks are you guys using? are they from the jeep?

stock nova shocks

what was the reason for bending the drag link?

to make it fit.

Where exactly should i mount the leaf perches? where they from etrailer.com along with the leafs and shackles?

on the frame where you want to locate the axle.
    yes.

did the cherokee's come with front leafs? If they did why not use them?

no.

25. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

dude, are you fuckin with me?

26. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

For what vehicle was the master for? When i go to the parts store i need a part number or the vehicle its for.

how's about a vehicle with front disc & rear drums? perhaps a gm model, you know, so it will bolt to your fire wall? try that

Are those seriously nova shocks?

yeah! they seriously are. do you think i got some hidden agenda here to lead you astray from building a crappy rat rod copy of me & my buddy's car?

nah...

ok so you bent the drag link for oil pan clearence and because it wouldn't line up with the tie rods.

I plan on making mine front steer so i assume the drag link won't need bending?

shit! idk maybe you'll need to bend it wayyyyyyyyyyyy more to reach all the way in front of the axle!!! you may need a few extra bends! or maybe you could stick 2 drag links together at the sleeves to make up the difference!

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

they make a steering arm for the passenger side that will let you get away from the y-link steering..it puts the drag link out at the(passenger) wheel rather than connecting it to the tie rod.. also keeps it pretty flat,helps with bump steer and turning radius.
    as for the caster set it at 4 degrees...
    we installed alot of these on lifted jeeps ...

28. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Awesome build man! Can't wait to see more pics.
    STREET FREAKS RULE

29. Novavelle

Novavelle
    from Cen Cal

I'm with Joe, can't wait to see more pictures :)

30. 1st gen. Novas sure make cool streat freaks and gassers and seem to be one of the most popular builds goin' on, using the original frame rails will alow for even a good ol' 409 to drop in with stock position of motor mounts......hmmmm.......you guys did great transforming that one which really looked like a good cob to start with, most left overs are toasted rust buckets. Nice work:).