Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Strawshop Sedan Model A Build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I started this car a few years back and have some shots scattered in various threads. I thought since I am back on the car (as a break from our lakester) I should consolidate things here. I got this car from GV when I sold him the touring seen below.

[​IMG]

As part of the deal I got this in trade.

[​IMG]

2. I built a 32 style frame for it and got it to roller stage before I shelved it due to being bit by the Salt bug. This is before I cut off the rear apron that was added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I am back on it I need to get the tranny mount and crossmembers built.

3. Part of the new inspiration came from my pal BigMac in SLC. He sent me this NOS British Speedo, any idea what it came from? Thanks Mac!

[​IMG]

The theme of the car is classic hot rod with racing/Euro heritage. Sort of Doane Spencerish. Here is the trio of inspiration. Alchemy 32 Pierce Arrow dash insert. Swapmeet wood rimmed spoked whell and the speedo.

[​IMG]

Of course I have some of Kevins 16" SPUN wheelcovers for the car. I need to find some 16" steelies now since I sold all of mine in a 15" frenzy! DOH!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. This car inspired me years ago. We had a thread on it here. It is now blue and in Japan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Gerg

Gerg

It's about time you get back on this car. The lakester is cool but i understand how you can get burned out on a project. Can't wait to see this come together.

6. Well I dig that.

7. inthweedz

inthweedz

Speedo looks like its from a 70s Sunbeam Alpine..

8. Thanks! that is what Mac thought. It has two drives on the back side, one for the speedo and one that looks like it ran the trip meter? Guessing it might have had a remote reset?? I dunno?????

9. Not really burned out, just fired up more than ever on more than one project. Ironically, the house is finally getting all the loose ends tidied up. The last 4.5 years were more of a brain drain than I realized. Amazing how a deadend job can suck the life out of you without even kknowing it!

10. Looks good, how about some more frame pics?

11. I thought I had a bunch but can not find them. Frame was stored out back, kinda nasty looking and I am going to redo the rear horns and spring crossmember. I will post some up when I can. I did the same as Samiyam when I built my frame, cut the reveal in. Here is his thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305273

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  12. Dan

Dan

13. A Boner

A Boner

I would call your inspiration car a "Bo Jones" style "A"!

Attached Files:

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn that's cool man! I can't wait to see what you come up with when it gets going again. I did dig Jim Donroe's blue redo of the car though, if only for the reason that he dropped the grill shell down to the proper height when he redid it. If that had been handled on the first go 'round in it's orange days I'd a dug it big time. I'll check my stash of 16" steelies and see what I have.

15. Hey thanks Chip! You can not imagine how many 16s I culled when I was chasing 15s!

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

That car went to another owner, and he redid it 60's style, and it was featured in Rodders journal #1 I believe. Wide whites on steelies, scallops and all. Its original version is much beater IMHO

17. Yup, I agree, part of the 80s,90s revival that Ryan was not privy to. Us 40 somethings that grew up around this stuff never gave up the passion. I thank my dad and his old mags that I made him drag around the country for 20+ years!

18. I am pondering cutting up a pair of AA rails &putting the fender reveal in them too.

Tman likes this.
  19. You remember the A roadster Choprods built with the AA rails? He didn't do the reveal but it would look great! I say go for it.

20. Good start Tman, how about a few more pix of when it was a roller.

21. I am looking for them. It never actually hit the ground but was in roller form on the jig, I blew it apart and stored it when I started the lakester.

22. Yeah that car & zibo's chocolate & cheese T roadster are in my head for the frame for a28 rpu

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just taking a breather on the salt car or is it going to become a "what if I had....." down the road?

Frank

24. No Frank, I owe it to you and everyone that has contributed to the lakester to see that through! After losing the job that I was good at and loved I realize what a brain drain it was. More for the piss poor manager I worked with. I literally lost 4.5 years of productivity on the house, hotrod etc. The only saving grace was the salt bug and that was the only car I have worked on. My partner in crime 6inarow stopped by today for some bench racing, first time he saw his engine in the chassis. We figured the WB will be 154ish and the whole car around 216"

My full time job right now is finish house, be a dad and husband then work on race cars and hotrods. I am kicking ass on all of them!

brEad likes this.
  25. Got the rear crossmembers cut out, hope to have some chassis pics soon and be working on the new rear frame horns. FWIW, the bathroom is now trimmed out with a new door that matches the rest of the b/room-kitchen area.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey T-Man, I dug through my wheel piles this week and I just don't have anything 16" that's good enough to send you at this time. I have lots of them, but when I start looking, one will have two of the lug holes pulled through, one'll have more rust in the rims than I would use, one is bent a bit more than useable... etc. I'll keep my eyes open though, 'cause they are still pretty common around here.

27. Thanks Chip! Stutz in Wyo was looking as well. They will show up.

28. Don't like the existing throttled pedals out there? Design you own!!!!!!!!!!;)

Thicker and beefier than any offering out there. I may scale it down some. These are the first three from the foundry. A normal size 10-12 fits on this one and works better with the toe loop than the older ones. Thanks to Dennis Obrien and Kiwi Kev for the help and input!

Last shot with the black pedal is the wood pattern with some vintage ones. This is my first try at making casting patterns and I learned a ton! What you see here is V.3, took me a while to get it where I wanted.

Attached Files:

29. 6inarow

6inarow

My full time job right now is finish house, be a dad and husband then work on race cars and hotrods. I am kicking ass on all of them![/QUOTE]

Amen to that brother. I know the feeling - 2013 has been that way for me. We just press on I guess....

30. Amen to that brother. I know the feeling - 2013 has been that way for me. We just press on I guess....[/QUOTE]

This has been a crazy year for both of us! Thanks for being part of the solution!