Register now to get rid of these ads!

strange transmission swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283nova, Sep 17, 2008.

1. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

anybody ever put a mopar a-833 behind a sbc? what all is involved besides a different clutch 18 or 23 spline and making your own mounting holes in the bellhousing?

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

just read in a mag that theres a version of the 833 trans w a chevy pattern. if i find the article ill let ya know what one it was....

3. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

i think that was the overdrive one. with 4th being an OD gear. i want to use one for dragracing as an a833 is pretty ahrd to break. and i can find them cheaper here them a muncie or t-10

4. squirrel

squirrel

might need the bearing retainer off the overdrive trans (so it's a good fit in the hole in the bellhousing and the throw out bearing fits right), and you might need to cut off the end of the input shaft and probably shorten the splines, I think the mopar shaft is quite a bit longer than the chevy. Also when it's time to redrill the holes to mount the trans to the bellhousing, make sure there's enough meat to hold the bolts, or use nuts.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For the reasons above you might find it eaiser to make a spacer/adapter plate out of aluminum to go between the trans and bellhousing. I did that to mount a Pinto trans behind my Plymouth 4

6. 73RR

73RR

Back in the 'old' days there were a number of spacer/adapters available. I don't recall the thickness but should be about the difference between the 2 shaft lengths. Any competant machinist should be able to look at the parts and carve out a plate with holes of the proper size in the proper locations. And you are correct, the 833 is tough.

7. Big Pete

Big Pete

I just did this with my son and we're driving it. The trick is to get a 10 spline a-833. We got the right clutch kit by getting the right diameter I/O on the bushing, spline count, and flywheel diameter.

8. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

9. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

There's a guy in Lebanon Missouri thats part of a club I think its called the Ozark Mountain stickshifters. He has a chevy II with a a-833. He also balances engines. I believe his business is call McGuires performance. He might even build the part to do it for a reasonable price.

10. xenia

xenia
    from PA

the a-833 4-speed was made by New Process, in the mid to later seventys GM got involved and the name changed to New Venture, there were some A-833 overdrives used in GM PICK-UPS

11. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

yes it would be for my nova. thanks for the info so far guys, another chev 2 with an a-833 sounds bitchin. how do i get ahold of this guy?

12. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

EDIT: guess i didnt google hard enough found it, wilcap makes one. heres the link for anybody else interested int his venture.

http://www.wilcap.com/chevy.html

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008