Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Strange Tire Wear/Alignment Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DLRIDES, Apr 15, 2018.

1. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

I’m the type that hates to ask for assistance in solving a problem, but I guess that’s what it’s come to !

SuperBell ‘32 style axle, hairpins, .125”toe-in, 6.5 deg caster, 0-0.5 deg camber (as it came,best I can measure), 32 psi, 6.00-16 bias ply, 1.5” rake front to rear. Car literally drives perfect, 85 mph on the interstate hands free, no pull, vibrations, etc. If the road is smooth, you would think you’re driving a 2018 car.

The tires have 14,000 miles on them, and I started to see the pattern after just a few thousand miles, and been scratching my head ever since. Since the car drives perfect, I could just wear them out and forget about it, but all things have a reason, ................ I gotta know !

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Is the wear on both tires?

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Yes, both are identical, which would lean one to think axle camber, but I’ve checked so many times ................?

4. zzford and trollst like this.

5. Weird though. Trying driving in reverse to even the wear out

zzford and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Can see the toe out in the #3 picture.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  7. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

lol

I’ve checked it with my homemade gauge several times, and had it on alignment machines twice (last week latest), toe-in dead on .125”. I’ve never changed it because .125” is the standard on bias ply, but I could easily try .0625.

8. The wear pattern looks like excessive toe. Also, check your camber to make sure that you do not have negative camber. Negative camber will wear inside of tire, but the wear pattern you have looks more like excessive toe.

Hnstray and zzford like this.
  9. I agree with pic 3. Looks a little out. Specs...shmecs....... lol. try bringing in a bit. Rotate the tires and see what new wear you discover after some miles

10. Must be a Chevy thing! I have one (passenger side) doing that on my truck. 6.00-16 Deluxe Champion.

Nice looking sedan btw!

DLRIDES likes this.
  11. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Right now the camber is 1/2 deg negative, would that be enough to cause that wear in 14,000 miles ? Maybe ?

12. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Camera lens compression at closeup.

I’ve rotated side to side but didn’t see any change. Can’t rotate to rears due to size difference.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

Is that a turbo hiding under there ?

bryanyeskie and DLRIDES like this.
  14. Are the wheel bearing nice and tight?

15. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Might be a Kansas City thing, that’s where the car came from !

:)

cactus1 likes this.
  16. It's caused by Tire Scrub. Take a strait edge and put it vertical against the King Pin and make a strait line to the ground following the pin. Your contact point is inboard of the inside of your Tire. Every time you turn the steering wheel you drag (scrub) the tire. Another issue that adds to that is incorrect Accerman. When all of these things are dead on you can turn the steering wheel to the lock either direction on a smooth floor and push the car with one hand and it will make a circle. If you can't do that, you have an issue. Camber, Caster and Toe arn't all there is to alignment.
    The Wizzard

Driver50x, F&J, zzford and 6 others like this.
  17. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

I don’t see a turbo, probably a bad photo angle.
    :rolleyes:

;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  18. Should have said "also caused" not to sound like Only caused by.

19. My first thought is it's a toe problem.

20. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look up tire "river wear" pattern. Some rib tread designs wear that way. Lot of rubber out on the tire edge since the inner profile of the tire transitions from the tread to the sidewall. On some heavy truck tires they cut a decoupling groove on the outer edge to help combat that type of wear. If your specs are correct as you say, you may have to live with it on that style tread.

21. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Interesting, thanks for the information !

zzford likes this.
  22. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Yep, perfect

23. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Had a local guy tell me this a few months ago ! An older gentleman that owned a tire store when bias was popular, said some bias patterns just wore on the inner ribs. ????????

24. Are you running bolt on steering arms and if so did you adjust them to be correct for your wheel base?
    The Wizzard

25. I disagree. I've had my hands in this stuff for more than a few weeks and know when all things related are right you won't have these issues. That statement is used when you just don't now how or want to fix it or in some cases want to sell more tires.
    The Wizzard

Andy likes this.
  26. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Yes, Pete & Jakes. I don’t remember if I had to change them or not, but I vaguely remember the process. I had a severe concussion type accident right when I finished the car, so a lot of the build details are fuzzy. I will follow up on that too ! Thanks again

27. If you actually set the Accerman correctly I doubt you would forget that you did it. If your not sure, it would be a very good thing to do just to be sure. Also to be the best it can be the King Pin ground contact point should be dead center of the Tire contact point. Most guys and even Shops don't know and don't care about it. That helps with Tire sales.
    The Wizzard

HemiDeuce and DLRIDES like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

I've seen wear on the second rib on bias tires quite a bit, but it is even on both sides of the tire, not only one side.

Alignment specs are great for the specific cars they were meant for...but sometimes you have to adjust things to work with the car you have. Might be it needs more toe in, might be it needs more camber. Remember that things are not the same with the car in motion, as with it sitting still. There is load on parts, and stuff deflects.

rpm56, zzford, DLRIDES and 1 other person like this.
  29. Yes, the specs are just a good place to start. I was taught in the early 70's to Test Drive everything after an alignment. 90 percent of the time a Car would go back on for just a little more something. If it didn't feel right a Customer wasn't going to like it at all.
    The Wizzard

Driver50x, zzford and DLRIDES like this.