Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stranded in Seattle....brake problems....need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ginger1959, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Ginger1959

Ginger1959

Hey...the brakes failed yesturday and I need some advice on what to look for. The master cylinder is totally empty and draining everytime I pump the brakes....can't see where it's draining from. Don't have my manuel of course....so please if you have any advice....please please send asap....i'm trying to get home tonight. Thanks a billion. Ginger [​IMG]

2. Tony

Tony

If it's draining on you, and you can't see the leak along the frame or the brake hoses, or a puddle of fluid easily, it's possible you may have a wheel cylinder leaking.
    Check the backside of each wheel for wetness. If you find one to be wet around the drum, more than likely thats where your problem is.
    Once you either find a replacement, or rebuild that one...bleed the brakes and you should be ready to roll.
    (if thats what it is)
    Good luck.

Rat...

3. DrJ

DrJ

Possibilities;
    wheel cylinder.
    flexible hose.
    rusted out hard line under car.
    master cylinder leaking into power booster if it has one

4. atch

atch

ginger,

can you move it to a place where there are NO previously existing stains/spills? parking lot? driveway? etc.? if you can then do so and pour more brake fluid in, pump the brakes a few times, and then crawl under the car and see where it's leaking from. it CAN'T disappear. it has to be going somewhere. the only places it can escape from the system are:

1. at the master cylinder,
    2. a leak in one of the brake lines, or
    3. from one of the wheel cylinders.

leaking lines are very uncommon, but very easy to check. eliminate them first.

if there's no puddle under the master cylinder then then you've eliminated the master cylinder.

if neither of the above happen and there's no fluid running out of one of the brake drums or out of a brake caliper, then you need to jack the car up and take the wheels/drums off to see which one is leaking. if any of your brakes are disks start with them, as you only have to remove the wheel to see the caliper. then check out any drums. i'm assuming that you know how to remove the drums, but if you don't just ask. we can guide you through that, too.

this is more time consuming than it is hard work.

after you've found what is leaking come back and maybe we can help you fix it.

5. Ginger1959

Ginger1959

im thinking its the wheel cylinder....I just replaced the master cylinder not too long ago....so im sure its not that. Ill have to get under the car and really inpect the lines cause I cant see any fluid...its pissing out rain...yay. Thanks for the replies....super appreciate it.

6. atch

atch

damn, we probably all started typing at the same time, but two of you finished before me. if i didn't have to be so verbose maybe mine would have been the first up.

7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Do not feel bad Atch. Finally, a question I could answer, and you all beat me to it.
    Good luck, Binger.

8. atch

atch

oh, yeah, ginger - let us know how this turns out, ok?

this on your poncho wagon?

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

look for the most common first but don't overlook the unusual either,

like DrJ said even the power booster (if ya got one)

you could be sucking fluid through a vacuum line,

where in Seattle are you?

10. Ginger1959

Ginger1959

It's the wheel cylinder....so i'm on my way to get this at a shop...woo hoo. I'm in Mountlake Terrace today. And for anyone that doesn't believe that a chick can't work on her 59 Pontiac, i'll post a pic later...hehehe

11. old beet

old beet

Ginger, K-MEMBER lives in Terrace, if you need help get back to us.....OLDBEET

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

if you cant get parts to fix there. clamp the rubber line with some vicegrips and blead the other three.or you can put a small nail in the end of the hard line and tighten it to plug it also. its got me home

13. If they were working fine then all of a sudden nothing i'd check the rubber hoses at the front "first "and also the one at the back.also if you're car has manual brakes the master cylinder could be leaking down the inside of the firewall and onto the floors(happened on my 56)had to peel back the carpet to tell and it looked fine from the engine side!If there's anything else i can do let me know!

14. atch

atch

i'm really surprised to note that no one has worked "sleepless in seattle" into a reply yet.

15. how about "breakless in seatle"

16. Ginger1959

Ginger1959

Alrighty....I actually made it home ok!! I was able to change the wheel cylinder with only minor busted knuckles from the brake springs. But all in all....everything went smooth. Thanks everybody for your fast sugestions and input...it really helped.

Attached Files:

17. Glad to see you made it home safe and sound. I don't know about the rest of the guys here but I find that you up under that beast changing a wheel cylinder WWWAAAYYYY sexier than your tattoo pics! You tats were fine but a chick working on her car is really hot! I guess I'm a perv that way! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Don't mean to be crude, but there appears to be some kind of leak around your behind. Your Levis are shot.

And a suggestion, please replace all your wheel cylinders and your flex hoses whilst you're at it. It's pretty much a guarantee that the rest of those components are sure to fail soon.

19. Eh girl,good to see you made it.I would have had ol'beet fix it myself while I drank all of his beer! [​IMG].........Shiny

20. Ginger1959

Ginger1959

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't mean to be crude, but there appears to be some kind of leak around your behind. Your Levis are shot.

Hehehehe....thanks for noticing. That's what working in the rain, grease, and dirt will do. But it was kinda fun. [​IMG]

21. Rocket88

Rocket88

Glad you made it back ok. Always a good time when you get to lay on the cold wet pavement eh?

22. Tony

Tony

Glad ya got home ok.
    I have to agree with Curly. A chick working on her own car..priceless!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rat..

23. badpat

badpat

next time yer workin on yer car, call me and i will get ya some coveralls and a pair of depends, eh mrs fuckburger

24. Badpat,didn't know you knew what coveralls were.I know bout your fetish with wearin depends though. [​IMG]........Shiny

25. LIMEY

LIMEY

That does something to a mans imagination! i'd be happy to pull up a chair & watch. Do you have any pics of the dirty hands! [​IMG]

26. badpat

badpat

eh shiny, glad to see you have time to spend on the computer, i guess it means you have finished all your customers cars??? [​IMG]

27. Hope its all ok now. Don't get your new Tattoo's
    dirty rollin around on the foor [​IMG]...

28. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

no kidding,
    was there like 10 guys taking the pictures
    while your workin on that beast?
    tp