Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Straightening a 36 axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodz, May 1, 2016.

1. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I am in the process of installing a 36 axle in the front of my model A to get a traditional extra 1.75" drop out of it.
    The perch pin holes and King pins holes are absolutely perfect but the axle has a slight bent to it overall.
    Does anyone know of a place in the lower mainland of BC Canada that can straight it for me?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Check with your local heavy truck repair places- they still use I beam axles and fix/align them.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A machine shop with a 10 ton press can straighten that. Easy as pie.
    Standard measuring practice, then bend.

metlmunchr likes this.
  4. I did mine in my press in about 10 minutes

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Super easy, if you have a press!

5. aaggie

aaggie

I think Henry designed them to bend rather than break. They were forged and it was not unusual to hit a curb or rock on unpaved roads and the axle hung down enough to be the first thing that hit an obstruction. If you use a press and go slow they don't even need to be heated.

choppedtudor likes this.
  6. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the replies guys. I found a local heavy duty truck shop that I have been told can do it. Vancouver Axle and Frame. But Cactus1, did you have to heat it at all to do that? How big a press did you need to do it?
    I would much rather do it myself, more fun :)

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Do NOT heat. My avatar is a dropped 36 and was bent twice--like an S. I did it in my press. Easy

8. No heat and just that cheap 20 ton HF press I got on sale for $160 or so? Plus, I'd never done it before. Just go slow. You have to overbend it and let it spring back but you don't want to go too far too soon.

9. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, the model A axle that came out is really bent and twisted, I am going to try it first and then move to the 36. Thanks.
    I will let you know how I make out.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. trad27

trad27

did a buddies A axle last year, really easy. Just think of it like straiting a giant coat hanger.

11. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

This is interesting. I have a spare axle for my truck that looks like someone must have hooked up a strap to it to pull the truck out of where it was sitting. I talked to a guy I know who owns a heavy truck alignment shop and he said they didn't like to do them for fear it would "flop" from the bending. This gives me new hope and reignites the fire to reinvestigate this as the king pins are in a lot better shape than what's in the truck now.

12. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I used the 30 ton press at work today and with some patience I got it nice and straight. Thanks for the advice guys.