Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straighten Front Axle - Who in AL/TN?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by larryj, Jul 5, 2012.

1. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

I have a '48 Ford front axle I need straightened and do not have access to a press to straighten it myself.

Anyone know where I could get it straightened in the north Alabama (Huntsville/Florence), Birmingham, Nashville, Chattanooga, southern Tennessee area? Specific shop names would be appreciated as I have already tried the local truck and frame shops.

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

You dont know of any local dirt track racers?

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

i dont think there are any in our area.i looked for some shop with a big press a couple yrs ago to straighten a harley frame.couldnt find anyone who could do it.so we did it with a torch and a BIG hammer. wouldnt try that one a axle.lol

4. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Try a semi truck repair shop. Most will have a press big enough for the job.

5. big moe 205-780-6206 b-ham spring 205-251-6281

6. railroad

railroad

You beat me to it. That is just on the west side of Birmingham off I-59

7. k9racer

k9racer

Damn me 3...... Or the frame shop at Church street and I think Conception.About 1 bloch from University //pratt ave.. He purchased all the Truck frame machine and alighment equipment from Woody Anderson Ford.. Last maybe try Nashville tenn spring..

8. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

The axle sat in that frame shop on Church St for a couple of months, he couldn't do it off the car.

Thanks guys, I talked to Big Moe on Friday. I'm going to try one more local shop tomorrow and if they can't do it, I'm off to B'ham.

9. chubbie

chubbie

how bad is it bent? and where.....doesn't amount to nothing to straighten a ford I beam. local guy said he wouldn't do it because it would snap and fly through the air. NO IT WON"T!!! oh yes it will!!! so i made him think it was his idea now he has done several for me. use 2 blocks and big jack, don't over think it. we had one with a twist. use a couple of BIG wrenches and 2 LONG pipes.

find some one with "hooks" in the concrete, chain and a jack. I've used some thing large..like a tractor, or some thing heavy. couple of blocks and a jack. got a length of rail road rail??

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Probably the reason for not doing it out of the car is that the king pin angle (camber) can't be checked easily. When in the car, he can check it as he goes and stop when it's right.

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Seriously you don’t know one person with a press?