Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight axles in old trucks when lowered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Oct 18, 2013.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

I like the idea of some trucks with the original straight axle lowered in particular the 48-52 fords. When I look at these trucks and ask about them in stock height their owners(mainly 48-52 F1) talk about them wondering and many say they'd change the axle to independent.

I know lowering via axle and springs will keep the truck feel. Are you guys adding sway bars too?. I know its not going to handle like 911 but I want to bounce down the road at 70mph safely.
    Back when these trucks were built they were really intended for 60mph or less.
    I'd like some pointers and opinions. Do straight axles do better with bias or radials? Thanks for your input

2. my truck is not lowered , but it is HUGELY improved ride and handling on radials. I also have teflon strip between the leaves and better shocks.
    Actually , the better shocks are really important.

edit ... this truck has sway bar as original equipment.

3. MY 53 A.D. came with sway bars, if the ford does not maybe you could modify some to work. steering is harder with fatter radials but smoother and less tracking.

It is almost the same cost to go independent or dropped axle if you buy all the parts new but you can get it dropped on the axle for less if you are crafty. a truck should drive like a truck. the truck was not made for sissy asses it was a working tool and drives as such.

are the drivers wondering or are the trucks wandering?

4. davidh73750

davidh73750

I guess the other part is the lower axle will have new king pins and help with previous slop in steering.

5. another note is, lots of people upgrade to newer style tie rod ends instead of the stock ones they stay tighter with less maintenance when they modify the steering arms to work with the lower axle

6. davidh73750

davidh73750

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382131629.698551.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

I did an axle flip on my dad's '58 Chevy. That lowered the truck app. 5". Six degrees of caster, new king pins, shocks and radials make all the difference in the world. I also kept all seven of the stock leaves, I just polished them and radiused all the edges. I went with disc brakes and converted the truck to cross steering. The truck rides, stops, steers and handles better than most Camaro clipped or Mustang II trucks I have ridden in.

8. davidh73750

davidh73750

Change steering box? What was involved w steering?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Drive Em

Drive Em

I used a common '67-'87 Chevy/GMC power steering box conversion, but I converted the truck to cross steer instead of drag link push pull style of steering.

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

My 56 F100 is straight axle. Down and forward springs. reversed eyes, with Teflon inserts. Used a Ford Bronco 2 front and rear sway bar.
    Cross steer ect.
    They can be made to handle and ride about 75% of an independent. Easier to work on. Just make sure to grease the king pins.