Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight axle with a steering dampener?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AA/Fuel34fordpu, Sep 15, 2009.

1. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Any of you guys that have a straight axle under your ride. Have or do you use a steering dampener or stabilizer. If you have pix that would be great too.

2. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

We used a VW damper on a Willys to control some of the shudder . I heliarced a tab on the tie rod and another on the axle itself . Simple ; liteweight and affordable. Just be sure to measure the stroke of your steering and go from there , I believe our damper was from a type 2.

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

4. fireball350

fireball350

A friend of mine had to put one on his A coupe. It was just a dampener he had laying around. It was a pretty simple install and fixed the problem.

5. Nope never needed one. Not on Hot Rods, not on the 9 second Anglia

6. Ditto. Mines driven every where, no problems.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As long as your beam axle front end is set up using the OEM specs for caster and the wheels are balanced and the steering components new or like new and adjusted correctly a steering dampener won't be necessary.