Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle spring position?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Oct 1, 2011.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

Why do you see most fenderless cars with a suicide front end the spring is on top or behind and not in the front? Is it for looks or is there another advantage to top or behind? Also what years did the spring come in the front? Thanks!

2. Master of None

Master of None

Not being a jerk, but do a search with the key words "suicide axle" and see what you come up with. Most of your questions you have will be answered. Most of the time its for a lower stance in the front. Many don't care for it because it changes your ackerman angle, and makes tight turning a problem.

3. Weasel

Weasel

An axle with any kind of drop is NOT a straight axle....

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

To answer your question, the frame gets in the way of the axle with the spring infront, but it can be done, and actually technically should handle better too

5. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

There's absolutely no need to ask a question on here! Don't you know how to """"SEARCH"""!? Just put in the key words, and EXACTLY what you need will come up: pictures ,diagrams,measurements, FRIENDLY advice. You won't have to click on nineteen posts or change your key words three times, you won't get any posts with few replies, or "nothing found". You won't get a thread about a rare 1932 ford (make fart sound)that a guy wants PHOTOSHOPPED when you put in "spring in front" . Just try it for once, "search" works perfectly, I mean perfectly. It sounds like you need to spend more time monitoring this site and less time in the garage. All of that building of race cars and hot rodding has made your computer skills suck.
    I always get exactly what I want when I "use the search function"
    I don't know what your problem is.
    What was your question? It better not have been asked before! "we" don't take too kindly to that 'round here.

6. Thanks Shaggy.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

If you don't want to answer a question why did you post... other than to be a smart ass.... your telling him not to ask questions so if you dont want to post an answer other than slam someone don't post on his thread.....

8. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Read my post again, I was not slamming him, just the opposite, believe me he knows that, we were discussing spring in front of the axle(not suicide drop axles anyway) on the phone yesterday, he just wanted some new ideas and information, we new someone would slam him if he asked, someone always does, in every thread, and someone always tells you to use "search" function,like no new information or ideas exist, we were right. Oh well.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hahaha...when I first read your post I was thinking THIS guy needs to lay off the energy drinks!!!

Spring in front gives a better ride due to the wider spring and gives a lower ride height (than springover) because the spring ends mount below the axle....but you NEED frame out forward so it can give a heavy look to the front of the car, especially on a fenderless ride.

Spring above is just the natural fit for the early cars and spring behind gives a cleaner look with a slight increase in wheelbase.

Anything works...it just comes down to the "look" you want.