Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle questions........advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyM, Sep 8, 2010.

1. BillyM

BillyM

Good morning everyone.....I'm in need of some advice for my 28 Graham Coupe project. I'm planning to run a straight axle front end, suicide style (home built frame). I picked up a mid 40's Ford 1/2 ton truck straight axle last night. I was hoping to convert it to a single leaf in order to run the suicide style I was looking for.

Does anyone have any advice or photos' on this? Any ideas on wishbones? Hairpins? Can I weld on bat wings in order to control the axle? Should I sell this axle and locate an earlier one with the proper spring mounts?

I open to any and all suggestions..........and thanks so much in advance.

2. Ole don

Ole don

If a cross spring front is what you have in mind, the correct axles are easy to find, inexpesive, and wont need to be cobbled up.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You'd be better off using a proper ford car axle, or use the one you have and do quarter elliptical.

4. BillyM

BillyM

Thanks.....maybe quarter elliptical is the way to go.......or I should keep looking for the older style axle..

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't throw that one away as it should have the spindles and brakes you want.

Here are some photos of a T with quarter elliptic springs using that style of axle though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would be easy enough to build/have someone build a pair of spring brackets that bolted to the axle and had a bat wing setup on it for the bones/bars . Somewhere in my photo collection I have photos of that style of setup on a couple of T buckets with cross springs that used an axle similar to yours.

6. BillyM

BillyM

Thanks Mr48chev......and others. I appreciate the feedback, and especially the photos...