Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waldo1949, Oct 28, 2012.

1. waldo1949

waldo1949
    from Illinois

I've installed a SPEEDWAY straight axle kit under my Rambler American. To get the ride height I wanted, I tack welded the AXLE ABOVE THE LEAF SPRINGS. I've been looking at old gasser pictures and haven't found a above spring axle location like this. Am I screwing up or is this a common installation for different circumstances? Help me gasser guys.
    PS I'm very pleased with the SPEEDWAY kit.

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It goes without saying you're going to install the axle correctly, right? With that assumption, the placement above or below the springs will not make a difference. Make sure the perches are engineered well enough to have correct caster, etc. Good luck.

3. 37.5

from mn

Many old cars from the factory have had the axel on top of the springs which works fine, but the last step in your build will be to be to put about 6 degrees in your axel with the weight of the car on it. That will be hard with the tack weld. This is how I did one so I can rotate the axel then weld the pads. That way you get the degree correct.

Attached Files:

4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

the only difference is in the ride height. whatever the thickness of the perch and axle will determine how much higher or lower it will sit. as was said, just make sure to set the caster of the axle and the camber of the axle boss/kingpin correctly.
    ps. also make sure you have clearence for your tie rod over/under the springs and the cross steer. if that is what you are using.

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Rambler with a straight axle!? Pictures please!!!! ;-) Here's mine...

[​IMG]

6. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Man, I started a thread on a straight axle Bug on here a few years back. I had to sell it, unfinished when I split with my ex. I REALLY wish I could've finished that one...

If you have a build thread, could you be so kind as to PM me a link?

7. metalman

metalman

I've moved a Speedway axle above the springs on an Anglia project I'm rebuilding, the guy that had started the build put it under and the car sat stupid high. The springs have plenty of arc so I don't see any issue with the axle hitting the frame sitting above, an issue with some stock truck setups, ect. Other thewn clearance issues the car won't care.

8. kennkat

kennkat

Axle location above or below the springs is used to make a ride height adjustment.... Like all those that have said before me, do it proper, do it safe and align it! GO...

9. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

A word of advice, throw away the junk chinese bearings that come with that kit, i had one fall apart on one of their axles, about put me in the ditch!

10. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Its all your pref, I mounted my axle underneith........ I STRONGLY suggest cutting the axle open an adding a second tube inside there great but not made for the weight a door car puts on them!

11. any pics of said axle above spring?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. rat nasty

rat nasty

really? I drive mine no problems at all and its a custom width 52" wide c-c? blown bbc and yup a heavy door car! like all the above mentioned set your 6-9 degrees caster and have it aligned you'll be fine!