Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddrags, Sep 3, 2009.

1. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Seriously considering going with a straight axle in my 37 Chevy coupe, Need some advise on the best direction to go, Speedway, ebay???? Price not a major factor, just want a decent frt end!

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going to drive the car any long distances think about a MII. If you are committed to a straight axle try Magum or Pete and Jakes.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, Smurf blue with some Pepto Bismol colored graphics and set of twenty inch Boyds would complete the look. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: A MII should only be used under one car................a MII.

4. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

do you want a 4 inch droopped or a straight straight axle. speedways are good and they have everything you nmeed to make it happen for about 1200 dollars for everything including brakes. or get a 37 chevy one and put late disc brakes on it

5. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Thanks guys!

6. They actually work better with GM intermediate. ;)
    How's it going mutt?

Nothing wrong with a beam or tube axle over the long haul. Well maybe I just think that because I'm not a street rodder.

I probably wouldn't go the speedway route on a new axle, Magnum makes a good axle and I understand that So Cal also markets a good axle. P&J is a Magnum BTW, Jerry owns Magnum axle.

7. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

If it still has the original,use it.It works for me.

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Or if you look in the FOR SALE add's here on the HAMB, There was a CHROME straight Tube axle there the other day.

My Opinion it either use the Stock Beam or Find a "REAL DEAL" Old aftermarket like a CAE or Blairs Speed shop type axle.

Most of the OFF THE SHELF stuff like Speedway is Cheezy Crap.

9. choke

choke

2 weeks ago I installed a Speedway kit under a Comet for a customer. He purchased the kit then brought it to me. The only thing I changed were the spring pads. I fabbed new perches out or 2x2 3/16 tube and bought 4 7/16 u-bolts from NAPA Auto Parts. The only 2 complaints I can think of were the rear spring bushings weren't of the same quality as the shackle bushings. They were very brittle and easily cracked. The only part missing from the kit was one set screw for the king pin. That's not bad considering how many different boxes everything came in! The king pin bushings were even reamed! It's a very complete kit of decent quality.

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

You forgot the AIRBAGS...

11. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

If you want a true straight axle don't go with the speedways tin,go with a .250 chrome moly axle from Jim Tinsmith tinnys hot rodz (213)453-7999 nothing better your lifes riding on it .

12. Lucky3

Lucky3

Agree ! Nothing really beats the strength of chrome molybdenum !
    Stay away from the speedway crap (read China) unless you don't drive or race it.

13. Igosplut

Igosplut

Contact BCCHOPIT on this site. He fabs Chrome Moly axles to order with better ends...

14. ...I used the orig. 37 axle in mine, 51 car brakes, Speedway steering arms, GM 525 steering box and cross-steer using Speedway steering and tierod, works great.
    Good luck with your project.
    [​IMG]

15. 117harv

117harv

This is a 2 1/2 year old thread.

16. ..well, it's back up!

17. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Rusty1 yours sure looks good! I used a combination of Speedway and home fabbed parts, It rides and drives great, I put almost 3k on it since with no issues whatso ever!

BobbyD

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Good info doesn't have a freshness date! :)

19. 117harv

117harv

Yes i agree, my reply was because i'm sure he had already purchased and fit one by now...and he has:)