Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight Axle identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Feb 2, 2013.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

Can anyone identifiy what year and what make this came out of? What disc brakes will interchange with this front end? or at least fit this spindle.....I know I will have to make custom brackets to fit the calibers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. 24riverview

24riverview

Looks like 40's vintage Chevrolet pickup, not sure when they quit using the ball style tie rods. 6 bolt hubs?

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Looks chevy, how many lugs? Is there a number cast into the front of it on the flat part if the I beam ( it would face forward) and be careful you almost showed an OT wheel in the first pic :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. ...I agree with 24 riverview,...neat tie rod!

5. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

8 bolt i believe they are. i need to go back outside to check again....regardless those hubs are not going to be used. lol. im installing this axle on a 33 plymouth 5w coupe. so more than like it will go to a ford or small chevy bolt pattern. not sure which yet as i have not located a rear axle i like yet.

the main reason i liked this axle is because the mid section does not dip down like some do.

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

it is 8 lug. darn it its cold outside

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

After looking at ebay at 46-54 chevy truck i would have to agree with yall. It looks just like mine. The great thing is aftermarket is huge. They make aftermarket disc brake conversion for my axle.so im happy

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

darnit. i guess there is a difference in spindle size. mine is so big the bearings wont fit. so now im looking for 47-53 1/2 ton spindles or a new axle. either or.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Your 'straight axle' is bent....:rolleyes: