Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Straight Anti Sway Bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Feb 7, 2015.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

Any one using a straight anti sway bar on your road car of the type typically found on a race car? I'm considering this because it looks like it is much easier to get this to fit my application and it has some adjustability that is not quite as easy as a regular formed bar. The only issue I have found so far are the sway bar arms that are splined are not available in the length and shape I need so I'm just looking to to fabricate my own. The sway bar I'm looking at has 1"-48 splined ends so I'd just start with a splined steel coupler and build my arms off of them. I'm interested in hearing from thos of you who have done something along these lines.

Thanks much,

-EM

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Most any open wheel race shop or Speedway motors can get you 1x48 torsion bar ends that welds into tubing that you can configure any way you want.

Attached Files:

3. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

small_IMG_1850.JPG small_IMG_1851.JPG small_IMG_1856.JPG small_IMG_1858.JPG small_IMG_1859.JPG This is a Paul Horton's Welder Series sway bar kit that I installed in my 32 Ford frame. I did add the bearing pillow blocks for support and had to shorten the arms a bit to make everything fit. The kit is really designed to have the levers on the outside of the frame rails with the bar going through nylon bushings and one lever end is splined and the other lever is pinned and welded. Due to mine being inside the frame rails, mounted in pillow blocks, both lever ends of the bar are pinned and welded.
    Bill

4. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks Rootie. I don't know why I have seen those. I've been on their site as well as their competitors but must have been looking in the wrong places.
    Thanks Rootie for the lead on parts. This is very helpful! I looked but didn't see much before other than splined collars for steering shafts. These look much better and are likely harder than mild steel.

Thanks also justpassinthru, very sanitary frame and nice layout on the bar!

- EM

5. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

I tabbed my own several years ago on a 64 Cobra. Horton or Speedway parts were to expensive for me. Bought 7/8" 4140 bar stock and forged blank arms from McMaster Carr. They were for machine levers. Used standard poly sway bar bushings to mount bar to car and hemi ends to mount to the axle. It has held up to a lot of track time and fulley adjustable. Pics are still on club cobra site under sway bar

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've been thinking about doing this on my A coupe. But the operative question might be how do you calculate the "size" of the bar icw the car's weight? How do the rates of the TB used as a spring compare with the resistance needed for the sway bar? Or are they one in the same? One half the rate as the other? Will a too stiff roll bar just become another set of springs / TB? Gary

7. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

That's a really nice install... thanks for using our parts.