Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Straight 8 RPU build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbytnm, Oct 24, 2017.

  1. bobbytnm
    Joined: Dec 16, 2008
    Posts: 1,423

    bobbytnm
    Member

    Well, I finally got all the parts that I ordered, now I don't have the time....ugh. Story of my life.
    I did get the brake assemblies put back together and back on the axle. It was after I got things back together I realized that I didn't even consider the emergency brake. I don't have any of the hardware or cables for the E-brake.....oops.
    For now, It's going back together and I'll deal with that sometime in the future.

    For the record, the early Jeep/Willys brake shoe anchor bolts were indeed identical to Ford parts.
    I took a few minutes to fab an anchor bolt adjusting tool to help get this dialed in once I get drums back installed.

    I was going to turn the drums but... ...I'm not sure how to mount them on the brake lathe. I haven't had a chance to run by my buddy's place and eyeball his lathe but from what I remember the main shaft is at least 1". The Ford hubs taper down to approx 3/4" diam. How in the heck did they mount these drums on the lathes back in the old days?

    IMG_8945.JPEG IMG_8951.JPEG IMG_8952.JPEG
     
    winduptoy, brEad, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  2. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE
    Joined: Jun 22, 2006
    Posts: 72

    HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE
    Member

    I put my rear drums on the axles and turn them together.
     
    loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  3. bobbytnm
    Joined: Dec 16, 2008
    Posts: 1,423

    bobbytnm
    Member

    I can't believe that it's almost August....sheesh!
    Well, since March my progress has been, well, I'm not even sure it would classify as progress. Up until last week the most I got done was to install the rear drums.
    I finished up a few house projects and my schedule has loosened up slightly. I managed to get a few things done on my 49 F-1 and then turned my attention back to the roadster.
    I've located my old brake lines and made sure they were usable. I had to shorten them up a bit and reflare one end but I got them installed (with the exception of a hold down clip along the wishbone) I got the rubber line installed between the wishbone and frame and managed to bend up a bit of hard line to connect to the master cylinder. I was able to get some linkage fabbed between the brake pedal and MC.
    I think that I'm just about ready to fill the system and check for leaks...woohoo.
    I also managed to drill the rear axle tube and add a vent. With that little chore done I think I can call the fabrication of the open driveshaft conversion done....finally, something done.

    Sorry, no pics. But still, it feels good to finally have some time to mess with the roadster.

    I hope everyone else has had better luck with their projects.
    Bobby
     
    60Pioneer, Jiminy, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  4. Thanks for checking in Bobby....was beginning to wonder. My project is dang near at a standstill as well.
     
    bobbytnm and loudbang like this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!

Archive

Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.