Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Straight 8 RPU build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbytnm, Oct 24, 2017.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Yes, I've fiddled with steering u-joints quite a bit (on other projects). So far this seems to work. I wont know for sure until I can run it around the block under its own power, but right now, running it lock to lock feels pretty good...no binding.

That may be true. Usually if you have more than 2 u-joints you'll need some kind of center support. Right now it feels pretty solid. That could change once its finally able to move under its own power. If so, then I'll go back to the drawing board (again.....lol)

Thanks guys

loudbang and winduptoy like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun build, Bobby...Love that big Thunderbolt! Onlookers'll make some interesting observations, (I just love to put some of 'em on, especially the 'smart types'...)
    "Yep...Thunderbolt. Pulled it out of a junked P-47 Thunderbolt, big airplane engine, WWII. Flies..."

Years ago, some pushy guy was looking at my channeled 'A' Coupe, Olds powered...
    "Oldsmobile Rocket???? Thet sounds faaast..."

Too tempting... Nice job, clean bracketry. Excellent shop made hub puller. Copying that one for myself. Thanks.

loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Mike,
    Thanks for the kind words. They sure help with the motivation.

I have made a few more baby steps this week. I decided that I want to start the engine and bring it up to temp. The will also allow me to check the condition of the water and fuel pumps (I'm guess they are both toast). If they need a rebuild I'd like to know before I paint that Thunderbolt. So, I scrounged up a radiator that I can use as a temp water source, I fabbed some clutch linkage, I pulled the thermostat housing and verified that it was working. I need to rig up some temp radiator hoses but hopefully in a week or so I can here the old beast run again.
    I'll take some video when I make that happen.

Thanks again for the kind words
    Bobby

4. ^^^^can't wait to see that video!

bobbytnm and loudbang like this.
  5. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Murphy's Law once again holds true. Just when I thought I could make some progress life slapped me back down.

I still haven't managed to fire my engine up. While rigging up a temp radiator I noticed several stress cracks on my fan blades. So, I decided to pull the fan and make some repairs. Naturally I snapped off all 4 fan bolts. No biggie, plenty of bolt sticking out of the water pump flange, I figured I'd be able to weld a 1/4" nut on the stubs and then back them right out......LOL. Nope. Broke them all off again. Long story short I ended up having to drill each one of them out.
    I managed to drill all 4 without damaging the threads.
    Today I finally had some time to tackle the fan repairs. There were 4 stress cracks near the hub where the 2 fan blades are riveted together. I drilled a small hole at the end of the cracks, beveled the edges of the cracks and welded them up. A bit of grinding and smoothing and its good to go.

No pics of progress as it was rather mundane stuff. No promises on when I might get things rigged up to start the engine, hopefully soon.

Bobby

loudbang, AndersF, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Speaking from experience don't use the repaired fan, buy a new one. It's not worth risking the damage when a blade comes off. Been there done that, cost me a radiator. Also had a friend with a '59 Bel Air 409 car lose one, it cut the wire loom on the way out through the hood. Not pretty and expensive to repair.

loudbang, firstinsteele and bobbytnm like this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bobby,
    send me a photo of the fan blade next to a ruler and ill look thru my heap for one that isn't cracked

brEad, loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Great advice guys.

I'll try and get some pics of the fan this afternoon.

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Larry,
    Here are a few pics of the fan. It's approximately 20" across, the center hole is approx. 1 1/4" diameter and the bolt spacing is approx 1 7/8"
    IMG_7978.JPEG IMG_7979.JPEG IMG_7980.JPEG

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  10. brading

brading

If I had to use the cracked/repaired fan then I would make up and weld on a support ring something like the picture on the back side of the fan.

Attached Files:

loudbang, LAROKE and bobbytnm like this.
  11. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Well, its been a long time but I finally have some progress to report.
    I've been wanting to fire up the engine for quite some time so I can assess the condition of the water pump and fuel pump. I had a spare radiator from my old Jeepster Commando and some cobbled together radiator hoses, etc. I wired up the ignition, bolted my carb back on and fired the old Packard up.
    Believe it or not, the water pump doesn't leak and the fuel pump works. Pretty surprising since this engine has set dry for tons of years. I think I'll go ahead and rebuild the water and fuel pump. I'll also need to get a new accelerator pump for the carb but the engine runs great!!!

BradinNC, fiftyv8, 30spdstr and 10 others like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nunattax, bobbytnm and loudbang like this.
  13. Sounds great Bobby!

14. That sounds great!

loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure makes all those tough days when things go wrong worth it when hear that sweet sound of a running flathead engine.