Register now to get rid of these ads!

stovebolt starter drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shadetree, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Hi
    What years will the starter drive, interchange for my 51 chevy with a 235, that i have swap to 12 volt, but still using the 6 volt starter???

The reason I ask is, I checked a couple of places, that sales old chevy parts, and they ask around 50 bucks for one!!
    I also checked rockauto, and it would be about 40 for the 51, but about 10 dollars for the 55!!!
    I was thinking the drives were the same, for several years up.

Thanks Shadetree

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

49 to 53 ? 216 only and maybe the 54 235 I think the later 235s had a different tooth count on the flywheel

3. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Yeah I thought the 6 volt flywheels were different than the 12 volt flywheels. But I wonder if the starter drives were different!!
    Thanks
    Shadetree

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

The 6 and 12 volt starters have differenent diameter armature shafts so the starter drives won't interchange.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Starter drive doesn't care what the voltage is ... did you change the flywheel or something ?

6. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

No it has the 6 volt type flywheel, and starter on it. And I changed it over to 12 Volt!!
    What I was asking about, was whether the starter drive was the same, for a 6 volt starter as a 12 volt?? Because my drive is going out, and the 55 chevy drive is about $40.00 cheaper then the 51 chevy starter drive.

Shadetree

7. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

The teeth on the pre 54 drive and ring are larger and less of them on the pinion. I always change to a 55 and up 12V flywheel and starter. Wanted to keep the 6V step starter on my 53 truck and was a little shocked at a $60 price for a new bendix.

8. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Why not just leave the 6V starter where its at? I converted my 54 to 12v some 15 years ago and still no drama. When the 6V solenoid finally dies (and I'm gentle with the key), I'll put in a 12V one.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes; 6 volt drives and flywheel ringgears are different from 12V. 6 V starter works quite happly on 12. Ya just got to pay the big bucks or change both starter and flywheel.

10. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

I know what you mean. I have run them years like that, with no trouble at all.
    But my starter drive, or something is going out, and I figured, if I was going to have to replace the drive, and have the starter out anyway, I might as well, change to a 12 volt solenoid, while I was at it.
    Thanks to all for you help
    Shadetree