Register now to get rid of these ads!

stovebolt intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xderelict, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I hope you don't expect to get the same grief here, as you did on the inliners Bboard, about the fuel line on your 216.

I'll repeat what I said about it there - Thats bitchin' :D

BTW - read the rules of engagement. ......... please.;)

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've been looking for a pair of those aircleaner bases under the W1s.Way cool 216.Nice fleetline

3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Anybody know anything about a Rajo head and intake on 216ci Chevy Six? I imagine it is pretty rare.... value?
    Any Rajo history?
    I seem to be finding a lot of info on his 4 banger conversions but nothing really on a motor this late.
    Thanks for the help!

4. Road Runner

Road Runner

I posted a link with a little info on the Rajo head, earlier in this thread on Page 2.....

5. Road Runner

Road Runner

Here is my McGurk intake.
    My favorite of all the 2x1 intakes for this engine.

The guy I bought it from had it polished and removed the McGurk name that is normally between the two carbs in raised letters.

Attached Files:

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Ya, Speedy Bill's museum is the only place I have found with any info. I went ahead and just started a new thread about this conversion here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216461

Thanks!:D

7. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

here you go, heres my cyclone 3 carb, ive never seen another like it except for in a pic,

Attached Files:

8. RF

RF

If anyone can come up with "any" Cyclone inline-six relicts, I know a certain someone who may be interested in recasting. Don't know where Kevin stands now with current production, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels there's room for more 216/235/261 parts in the world. (Anyone thinking it will "ruin" value of originals, I think this post alone shows there are tons of obscure inline intakes still floating around--I just wanna repop Cyclone and maybe see some additional parts made with that name.)

*gear jammer, you ironically posted that just before I posted mine...

9. RF

RF

Another thing I'm curious about, is why did a couple mfg's orientate the base-flange pattern parallel with the intake rather than transversely?

10. LowFat48

LowFat48

someone mentioned D & S , here`s a pic of one.

Attached Files:

11. RF

RF

Only image I have at work. Repop Fenton with restored BCs. Have yet to test 'em out yet...

Attached Files:

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

In reference to the question about some intakes mounting the carbs 90 degrees off, it makes the fabrication of linkage a lot simpler.

13. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

wow this is a good post ,ive got a 2x1 intake that has no provision for heat and (the word HOTROD ) is cast between the carb risers also i have a C.A.W rocker cover -anybody have info on these --joe-

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'd like to see the HOT ROD intake. The C.A.W. valve cover came from Denver, and from what I'm told, was cast to be run on one of a fleet of Chevy trucks that the owner of an independent trucking company used.

15. draggin37

draggin37

Well mines not cast but i had to show it off just the same. :D

Attached Files:

16. showrod

showrod

here is a Von Esser

Attached Files:

17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

WOW! this has got to be quite a list.I went thru and so far there are, Clark, Corvette, Cyclone,Edelbrock,Edmunds, Ellis, D&S, Fenton, Harper, Lee, Mcgurk, Newhouse, Nicson, Offenhauser, Rajo, Sharp, Tornado, Von Esser, Wayne and Weiand.Sixinarowjoe mentioned a Hot Rod(brand name?),Thats 21 different manufactures. Must of been a lode of hotrodded stovebolts :D . Thanks for all the posts so far.

18. Road Runner

Road Runner

Makes sense...

These stovebolt engines turn into a whole other animal, when you add (at least) dual intake and dual exhaust.

With matched carbs and balanced perfectly in sync, your motor comes alive !

THE best upgrade with highest gains in torque and HP you can do to a stock stovebolt engine, no doubt.

Keep 'em coming - this is the best Stovebolt intake thread on the internet I have seen over the years.
    I had no idea there was such a market back in the days.

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You can add Tattersfield and Thickstun to your list.

20. Crestliner

Crestliner

Didn't see the corvette side drafts.

Attached Files:

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Looks like the D&S with a second set of manifold clamp lugs added.

22. Then how come my car was advertised as the first "Stovebolt 6",the cast iron wonder?194 cu.in. the original "stovebolt".

23. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

wow there are a few intakes on here that i havent heard of,the vonn esser and the d&s look similar to the fenton.,also im running a ellis intake on my 50 ,and the cyclone looks to be similar ,but the carb bases are going in a different direction-joe

24. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Heathen,how did I miss those two,I have a Thickston dog bone for the hoodlum build out in the garage. That puts it at 23 different manufactures. Sixinarowjoe, I believe that the D&S design became the Fenton intake.Once again thanks for all the interest and keep them coming. Later.....

25. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, it appears that the Fenton style mold with the squared off ends was used for at least five different intake brands.

26. Road Runner

Road Runner

Looks like companies could buy the same casting from that particular foundry and have their own logo cast with it.
    Same happened with valve and side cover castings that were the same except for the logo.

27. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

I've got an old Frank pattern 2x4 intake that's going on a 292.

My cousin has been building Chevy inline 6 circle track engines for a long time and has had some pretty wild setups. He has an engine that he built last year that started with a 250 block, and had to cut .985 off of the throws of a 292 crank to get it to fit in the 250 block. It came out to 311 cubic inches. It's got SBC 400 connecting rods and 350 pistons in it. It has a fabricated plenum intake manifold and 3 Rochester 2g's. The headers were also fabricated with stepped tubes going from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 going into a 3" collector.

28. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The 1929 194 is of course completely different than the 1962 194 engine. The later 194 that was used exclusively in the Chevy II/Nova was the first of the 'new' thinwall casting Chevy sixes (194/230/250/292 and a '64-'65 215 Pontiac version) that shared some parts with the small-block V8s and replaced the older, heavier versions.

Same inches, different engines. Yours just got overlooked and left out of the previous 216/235/261 listing.

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It seems as though many companies used each other's castings, and sold them under a different name.

for example:
    [​IMG]

I've been told by a very knowledgeable source, that this is also a "Wayne" manifold - you know - the 12 port company.

I'm sure that there were others that did it.

30. scrape

scrape

heres the frank intake..... (posted for 32esex)

Attached Files: