Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stout 4-Speed. Which is best?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlatheadWillie, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Now, like I mentioned before, get yourself a Doug Nash 4 speed if you want a stick and want it to last.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Liberty is near me.. I also know someone that works there....

3. Larry T

Larry T

Too throw my two cents in I'd probably run a Super T-10 if I was gonna run a factory 4 speed. They are stouter than most Muncies (except maybe a M-22 Rockcrusher-and there is a reason they're called Rpckcrushers). I'm pretty sure you have to do some modifications to make the A833 imput shaft work in a GM product. Kinda foggy there though.

But, if I were gonna pick any street manual transmission for an "old" car, it would be the Richmond 5 speed.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You saved me the trouble of posting the same request. Probably like those engines that are talked about at the drive in when there is no way to prove you've even got 100. the last 600 hp Poncho I saw was in the GTO of Don Gay when the blower on his match racer deposited the crankshaft on the finish line of Indianapolis Raceway Park in 1965.
    Did I ever tell you guys about the 5 hp Briggs and Stratton I built up to well over 50 hp so I could do my customers lawns faster in 1957? You should have been there it was really something.:eek::rolleyes::cool::D

Frank

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

By the time you do the upgrades the stock trans. you will have the price of a Doug Nash-Richmond in it and less trans.

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

that's what i was suggesting pages ago...:cool:

its all good:cool::eek:

7. You just posted this on post #57.

My answer to you is on post #60.

I think we all get your pointless point! You don't need to repeat it! :rolleyes:

8. Thanks guys! At least we're on the same page. ;)

9. domingo

domingo
    from Lima, Peru

I dont know if a Doug Nash 4+1 would be stronger than an 18 spline HEMI trans.....

10. Larry T

Larry T

Richmond bought Doug Nash, their 4+1 is rated at 450 ft.lbs. of torque. They make a transmission that is rated at 600 ft.lbs. torque, but I'll bet the price would bring most folks to their knees. Just looked, $3700.00 or so, out of my league but not as bad as I thought. They also sell new Super T-10 4 speeds for around $1600.00

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Well it beats the 5 grand for a street Lenco and only a little more than my 700R4 automatic.

The reason why I'm mentioning a Doug Nash tranny is because it would be closer to a tranny that would have been used back in the day.

That '68 Firebird had one up until a year or two ago. Unfortunately my buddy, that owns the car, wanted to run faster and with more consistancy so he went to the dark side and installed a TH400. Too bad, you should see him shift!

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

13. domingo

domingo
    from Lima, Peru

An 18 spline HEMI trans from Brewers all rebuilt costs 2k

14. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Yeah, G Force is the name I was trying to think of.

15. 303racer

303racer

Borg Super T-10 cheap and works have one behind 500hp, But no trans will last if you dont use it right

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ive heard alot of good things about muncies. i picked my m20 up for 500 bucks, obviously you would need an m22. im not sure what there going for right now ? 1200 ish ?

17. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I know 2 people who bought new Richmond 5 speeds and don't shift too well. They are not happy and complained to Richmond about it, didn't get good answers. Also it has been reported that Sox and Martin secretly ran a Ford Top loader behind there Hemi, cus was better than A833.

Ago

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

There are some big H/P Pontiacs out there nowadays ….. don be to quick to dismiss them

19. FlatheadWillie

FlatheadWillie
    from Denver, CO

20. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

If you wanna go Old School,get you a clutch turbo 400!!! That's old school..............

blownhemi48 likes this.
  21. 327Eric

327Eric

I would agree on the Hemi trans If I wanted a beefy trans to abuse. I am too poor to afford much of anything, so I threw a Saginaw 4 speed in my 59 El camino, 11:1 427, 50 bucks from a swap meet, and another in my 55 Stude, 327,340 horse vette spec motor, this Trans was the most expensive one I ever bought, 72 dollars from the pick and pull, out of a 79 pontiac (Monza clone) I bought 5 for backup, 50 bucks or less. I don't drive either a lot, but I am not gentle with them when I do 6 years later, i have 5 dusty backup transmissions, I'm on my second rear carrier in the 59 after shattering the spider gears, and some worn bushings in the shifters, which cost more than the trannies. Just sayin.

El Jefe hemi likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And I was thinking the same thing when I posted. Not what he asked, but probably the right answer...

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

A TKO 5 speed rated at 600 lbs of torque is about 2300 bucks.Some say they shift a bit notchy..So get one from a performance tranny shop with upgrades for about 200 more bucks.
    Brand new Muncie type 4 speeds that are upgraded to handle more power are also available for the same price.

24. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Then you want a 5 or 6 speed. The 4 speed 1-1 top gear will keep you reving too high on the freeway unless you gear it too tall in the rear. Having an overdrive top gear will make sure you enjoy the car more often.

25. custom300

custom300

I ran a Muncie for a couple years in my gasser with a 400+hp motor with no problems. I use a Autogear 4spd now behind my 600hp motor with no problems for 3 years.

26. domingo

domingo
    from Lima, Peru

like i said before, it all depends on the weight of the car, clutch slippage, and traction.

A hard grabbing clutch, brutal traction, heavy weight and torque will make even a HEMI trans shit it's guts out.

27. dad-bud

dad-bud

What Dane said - these days with highway speeds, you really want to drop the revs when cruising for all sorts of reasons.
    5 or 6 speeds will allow you to run a decent gear so you can use 600 hp when ya wanna without tiring out all those nags while you're cruising.
    Cheers.

28. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Has anyone said Doug Nash 4plus1 ?

Great tranny and strong !

I have one if you want to pm me about it.....

29. Larry T

Larry T

Doug Nash sold out to Richmond a long time ago (80's maybe??). The Richmond 5 speed is the same transmission.

30. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Yeah, he sold out so he could devote more time to trying to patch things up with Stephen Stills and David Crosby, man.