Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stories of lost cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

There was a large shipment of brand-new '20s-era Studebakers that went down in a storm on, I think, Lake Superior (shades of Edmund Fitzgerald here, eh?). No way to salvage them bck then, so insurance as I recall covered the company's loss. I SAW, though, on TV some years ago a show where divers with video camera went down and at least got to look around. The tape showed Studes still in place and not looking BAD for all that time in the drink! I have read about Lake Superior that at deeper parts, the pressure prevents oxygenation (at least slows it, compared to the SURFACE conditions). So, they are still recovering logs that have been down there for many, many decades. I wonder if the pressure preserve those Studebakers, too?

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

SS Matai sunk 12/24/16....Not a very good Christmas eve eh

3. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

In the 60's my father was a water dept. worker for the city of Wayzata Minnesota, a small lake town 15 miles west of Minneapolis. While checking water meters, which back then were useally inside the houses in the basement, he found someone had built a room beyond a tuck under garage that contianed a mint condition Model T pick up. This was in a pretty rich nieghborhood were the Peaveys, and Dayton familys had houses on lake Minnetonka. Dad asked the owners about it and they said it came with the house and additions to the house, blocked it in. I wonder if its still there?

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

George, back when I was a high-schooler in the '60s, my science teacher (also out car-insurance agent, BTW) had loved his Model T so much, he knocked out every rivet, unscrewed every bolt and screw and stored the ENTIRE car in his ATTIC!

I didn't make it up. I never checked back, so I don't know if the "T" is, maybe, STILL there!