Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stop the gov from restrictions on us............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go to this website and sign up. They work with SEMA to stop us from having to raise our ride heights, put in emission equip, etc.

www.carinitiative.com:mad::mad::mad:

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1984 on the left, 2010 on the right.....hmmmmm

[​IMG]

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Ride heights? Anything that puts equipment below the scrub line ain't a hot rod, it's a fukkin joke.

The rest of all the hand wringing is noise. Just noise.

5. Motion bird

Motion bird

I just want to know when Hot rodding was EVER legal? All the way back to the 50's,the image of a hot rod was always a souped up old car or highly modified custom being followed by a cop with flashing lights. Isnt the allure to hot rodding the fact that we are a groups that exist just on the fringes of society.

I think a lot of this paranoia stems from the fact that more and more rodders are paying exorbitant amounts of money to have custom cars built and they crying the blues when they cant drive them on the street without being hassled. Oh well,thats what you signed up for. Thats the price you pay for being cool. If all you wanted was a street legal car to wax at the local car show then you should have bought a restored classic or muscle car.

Almost all states have collector car and street rod plates which is leaps and bounds better then what young kids of the 50's ever had to work with. The notion that you can buy a late model car and rip into it has never been socially accepted. Get over it.

6. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Everything old is new again.

7. you know what happened to the boy who cried wolf? later on there really was a wolf and no one believed him

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. There is nothing that I know of that restricts me or my jalopies. Can anybody tell me one thing that has changed since 1950 as far as restricting the operation of my hot rod?

9. Just the cost.

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course. Emissions laws. They may not effect you where you live yet, but they affect many people on this board.

11. Motion bird

Motion bird

I dunno. I think you "text bited" me a bit there. Were you implying that the fear should be over historic plates being revoked? In all honesty I dont think that is going to happen. Most of the guys around here are building with "real steel" so they have every right to claim that they own an old car. The shop built cars using custom frames with VIN's of old cars stamped on them but having no real old parts are no different then guys who are trying to swap a 69 Camaro VIN tag onto the new dynacorn bodies. There will always be a debate over how much metal on a car can be replaced before it is no longer the original car. In the case of those Camaros,my opinion is that if there is no law that stops a restorer from replacing every bit of metal on the car exept the firewall and VIN numbers and there is a law that allows a restorer to transfer the VIN number from a rusty cowl panel to a new repop cowl panel then what is the differance if all the panels are replaced at once or at seperate times? At one point or another you can no longer touch the car and touch a piece of real history.

A lot of big issues have coe out of the business over the decades. Repop fiberglass bodies,repop muscle car bodies.full hand built million dollar rods with nothing but the VIN of a vintage car stamped on the frame.

There will always be a disconnect between old school rodders(I kind of include myself in that category) and those who just want the status of a rod builder/owner without the burden of being either.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Many people on this board.......?
    How about you pwschuh? What car do you have and how does the law restrict your use of it that is targeting hot rods that's different from all other cars,? Actually in most states the opposite is true, laws give hot rods and Kustoms a break, exempting them from general rules.
    I'm exempt from emission test, that's a good thing because I'd have to overhaul my smoker, but after that, it would pass..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Believe you me there IS a wolf and his name is Uncle Sam. the ONLY reason we are still allowed to do what we do is because of groups like SEMA that inform we the voters and work to defeat negative legislation. you think they can't take away our hot rods? think again!
    If you love the freedoms we enjoy with out hot rods i'd suggest joining the SEMA action network and getting involved. if not then when they do take away our rights to modify our cars the way we want to then you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

14. RAY With

RAY With

Big government and some states have been sniffing around the classic area for many years and as I read in California they came down on a few rod builders for registering new as old. Then there is the emission there fooling with the current laws to somehow make it mandatory for the emission's to follow the year make of motor in the rods. Currently we are OK in Texas but I think as a precaution we should keep our eyes open to any suggested laws that would govern our classic car and hot rod groups.

15. Apparently no one watches what ca has been trying to pull the last few years, how do you think your hot rod would stand up to a smog check? remember most rules start here and spread like cancer.

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Taxes are up, cost of everything except wages is up.
    I don't think I can blame the gvt for a slow or upside down economy though. Anybody that thinks that don't know economics 101.
    Labor on my jalopy don't count:), just hope they don't figure out a way to tax that. Ha :eek:

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Old title indicates ownership of an old car, laundering that to a new build is fraud. It's better to modify the old car, which is legal in most cases.

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I thought about it. Then I thought about it, again.:)
    I'm an optomist. I don't whine about things I have no control over.
    'They' might take your hot rod, but they won't take mine. There's simply no evidence that 'they' even want to.:D

19. that was my point , i believe there is a wolf this time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.