Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical stop/tail to stop/tail/turn - trailer converter??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigbadad, Nov 29, 2016.

1. bigbadad

bigbadad

I'm wanting to change a traditional combined stop/turn signal setup to a more modern separate stop/turn signal set up. Is there a reason why I shouldn't use a hopkins type trailer converter in reverse?
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. i would be surprised if it works backwards. just run another wire from the brake light switch and remove the wire between the two switches.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with tb33anda3rd......I expect there are diodes in that system (one way only for current flow)

Ray

4. bigbadad

bigbadad

5. just remember you are spending $40 to complicate the system and add another thing to fail. wire is cheap and reliable if done correctly.

6. Is this because you have the U.S. brake/ turn combo and want a "normal' (well ,in the U.K. and Australia it is normal) amber indicator and seperate stop light? If so I have done this conversion and can post up the wiring changes needed.
    I remember having to lose the reverse lights otherwise there is 1 extra wire you have to run to the back.

bigbadad likes this.
  7. bigbadad

bigbadad

Exactly that 36 Roadster...the problem is the vehicle is a (not very HAMB friendly) 2008 Silverado and I'm a bit reluctant to mess about with the wiring on the brake light switch. It's all a bit modern looking in there. I thought a converter at the rear of the vehicle would be the safest way of doing it?

Hnstray likes this.
  8. I am not familiar with those units, but as others have said, it probably wont work in reverse.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I work for Hopkins and typical converters DO NOT work! Yes it may be best to just run the extra brake wire to the back and disconnect brake from turn signal switch. BUT, in your case, this won't work either. You would need to play around with the BCM connector in the lower left area of the dash. Trust me, I looked up the wiring diagram, and it is not as simple as it seems. However, the Curt product will work.
    I recall designing a reverse converter, but never got to be product.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016