Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs STOP sayin' '38 fords are ugly. My 5W project sixties kustom.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coke-bottle, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Yeah, after my project I hope to encrease the number of '38 lovers :D

So I have the time to end the presentation of the tail as finisced.

After some BANG BANG BANG metal shaping here is a nice shot really rapresentative of my goal.

[​IMG]

The wire frame partially removed. is useless now.

[​IMG]

Here are damn cool fender skirts, easy to do and really nice looking.

[​IMG]

two pictures of sheet metal finally in the right place welded to the original fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are brand new caddy tail for a nice caddy kustom theme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are you sure you want to see the finished tail? you risk to want one ugly '38 :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop. Actually the car is in this condition, when I find the time I show the progress on interiors, floor, tranny tunnel, DASH etc...

Luca

2. Fe26

Fe26

It looks like you are on a very steep learning curve with the body work. Patience, trial and error will save the day.
    BTW one of the most amazing things I ever saw done with sheet metal was the bodyman who made the entire rear section (for my '38') below the boot lid and the rear quarters extending about 250mm up the body out of one piece of metal, when he offered it up to the body for welding it was almost perfect with just the slightest effort required to align it to the parent metal. So... there's hope for all of us yet.

3. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

looking great i great metal work hope to see more soon

4. fitzee

fitzee

Man, I love post like this.Keep it going.

5. Nice work I love the look.

6. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Man you have a lot more talent than I do! Great job so far....I just picked up a 3 window (avatar pic) thinking of what I want to do with her! Thanks for sharing! :D

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

The car is coming along nicely. I am not a fan of the tail-lights but overall this car is going to be awesome, especially if you get it close to the cars that inspire you.

8. banditomerc

banditomerc

Looks great!Makes me want to sell my current project and go get a '38!!

9. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

10. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Looking good.

11. Great build so far. Takes big balls to learn metalworking on a project of this magnitude. Good luck with it and thanks for posting the pics. Keep them coming!

12. Luca (Coke-bottle) ... looks great ... but you might want to rethink those tail-lights ... IMHO, they don't flow with the rest of the car.

... and FYI ... there is an unwritten rule here on the H.A.M.B. ... the words UGLY and '38 Ford are never allowed in the same sentence or thread title ...

[​IMG]
    Ryan's '38 Deluxe Coupe

:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Dude that looks absolutely killer. Keep it up, the metal work looks great man.

14. striper

striper

The Caddy lights seem like a far too obvious (read: overdone) solution. The rest of the work is amazing. What metalworking skills did you have before you started this project?

Pete

15. petes65usa

petes65usa

Awesome work...........

16. Im with you Pete....the Cad tailites just dont blend/fit in with that rear Deco design.

Luca you need some Art Deco style tailites for that ride, even the 39 Lincoln Zephyrs would be nice.

Go with Deco lites, scope around on Ebay for ideas man.....you won't regret it. Great work keep the pix coming !!

Rat

17. 067chevy

067chevy

Nice work. Very cool car but the caddy lites got to go. My .02 worth

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

great build. I love the updates and the style is spot on. can't wait to see more...

19. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Just started on my 38 coupe, a ton of work but after looking at what you have accomplished I am truly inspired. Thanks and please keep us updated.

Attached Files:

20. Luca, Fate il lavoro piacevole, lo tenete su!

21. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

I'll have to go with Rat and Striper.

I think the whole project is coming along magnificently but the caddy tailights are way overdone. Something much more humble and Art Decoish will be much nicer IMHO.

Yet, each man has a different idea and different few on there builds and all in all, if your going to achieve what YOU set out to achieve then your doing it right!

Good luck and keep us posted.........

HC.

22. Full credit to you for your work so far. It is indeed inspirational. However, I agree with the others in saying the Caddy lights are not only too over the top for that beautiful body styling, but they are also so over-used these days that they have become boring. In my opinion. I think some really subtle deco style lights would be very cool, and would emphasise the wonderful work you have done so far, where-as the Caddy lights detract from it. In my opinion. Keep up the good work!

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ive never seen this and it appears to be pretty bitchen!
    Any + info?
    Bella Luke! Kmq le avevo già viste!:D

24. joee

joee

i'd trade my left nut plus my 32 for that coupe !!!!!!!!!

25. Rikster

Rikster

That cars body work is FANTASTIC... but the whole stance ruins the complete car for me. I hope this will not be the inspiration for any new built car.
    This photo must be the worst made of this car.. the car looks broken!

I just don't understand that they decide to built a wonderful custom car with nearly every body panel custom made, or modified, and add wonderful fender skirts... The whole car has those great rearward flowing lines to it... perfect for a taildragging, or even near level stance. But!!!...then they give it a Street Rod, Mini Truck stance... or more like no stance at all.

I know personal opinion... but I had to say it!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  26. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

Very nice build! But I dont like the 59 Caddy taillights!
    I have bought some 49 Hudson taillights on Ebay for my 39 Ford Tudor project.
    BTW Rikster: don t you recognise that picture of that bare metal coupe with the wrong stance: that is the beautifull 35 Ford 3 window coupe that Chrisp has build some years ago with the White truck grille!

27. Rikster

Rikster

Of coarse I recognize it! Chrisps work is fantastic... Its an easy fix... just stance. The car was shown at the GNRS in this ugly stance as well... WHY???

28. rustyhood

rustyhood

They are ugly!! everyone that has one should bring them to my garage, so they wont have to look at them!:D
    That is looking BAD ASS! Your metal skills are great. Nice caddy tail light positioning to. Good job!

29. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

It does look so broken. Like a bad cartoon where the car was dropped off a cliff. The body survives but the suspension is toast. What is up with the running board? Is it optical or is the bottom bashed up? It is NOT the cover of ZZTop's new album, make it a tail dragger like it should be!!

As for Luca's car, looking great. Keep at it. Do what you want with the tail lights, its YOUR car.

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great work Coke-Bottle ! I am collecting pieces to build a similar style kustom...36 tudor for the main body and a 37 coupe rear....wont start it till the current project is on the road but here is what I will be starting with. You will be an inspiration thats for sure!

[​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.