Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stolen Roadster in Colorado

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatcrazy, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

Our friend Duane Helms had his Model A Roadster stolen this morning in Thornton, CO. If seen please notify police. 66228571_10157401671767290_8369564248153522176_n.jpg

mgtstumpy and flatheadpete like this.
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

dirty bastards! whats the details, out of the garage? off the street?

3. A Boner

A Boner

Bad news.....can you get some better pics.
    Keep this on the front page.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

keep eyes on any place cars/parts are sold

5. More and bigger photo's would be helpful, I hope he gets the car back safe & sound. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Saw this posted on f***book, so the word is getting out. They still hang "horse" thieves out there?!

Deuces likes this.
  7. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Car has been found
    Duane is on his way to get it.
    I don,t have any info as to the condition it is in

Dean Lowe, oldtymehiboy, bct and 19 others like this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Glad he found it. RAT BASTARDS:mad:

mgtstumpy, Deuces and 31Dodger like this.
  9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn, that was quick! Hope it's OK and not too fucked with

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw that on FB this morning and the note it had been found. I too would like to see the story on how it was found.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  11. Here's the story from facebook on what went down,

Here's a good news story today from right here in Denver. Thanks to quick work by two Adams County Detectives, Duane's beloved '28 A-V8 roadster is home safe and sound. His hot rod was stolen this morning from the parking lot of a popular restaurant just north of the Boulder Turnpike near Pecos Street where Duane and his hot rod buddies meet once a week for breakfast. Videotape from the restaurant parking lot caught the thief in the act. From the tape, police recognized a local man whom they had under surveilance for other criminal activities. When police burst into the house where the perpetrators lived, they found Duane's roadster parked in the garage. In less that a day, his roadster is home. The only damage was to the ignition switch which was jimmied with a flat blade screw driver. Whew!

Dean Lowe, bct, Country Joe and 24 others like this.
  12. WOW, Great news! It doesn't happen often that things turn out that well. Would be nice if they allowed Duane a "few" minutes alone with the fucking thief. Great job by the 2 detectives. Big thumbs-up for them. Sounds like the creep had maybe been watching the breakfast gathering for a while. I HATE a thief.:mad:

13. guitarguy

guitarguy

That is great news!

The fact the thief jimmied the ignition tells me that a simple hidden cut off switch might have prevented the theft. I hope he installs one now. I know its not fool proof as things like flatbeds and such could still steal your prized ride, but we have to do all we can to combat the low life scum.

loudbang, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. Back up for a good news story.

Deuces likes this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nothing irks me more than people that cannot keep their hands to themselves. Well, along with con artists.

mgtstumpy, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kudos to the Adams County police and congratulations to Mr. Helms on getting his roadster back, relatively unharmed. Too often the story goes the other way and the car is gone forever.

loudbang, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  17. adam401

adam401

Wow that must've been a serious rollercoaster of emotions for the owner. Glad he got his car back. I always wonder when a car thats one off like that gets stolen what the thief had planned to do with it? Try to sell it even though its easily recognizable? Part it out? That seems time consuming and risky too. Crazy stuff. Glad it worked out.

loudbang, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I trust the cops (or the judge if it gets that far) will give the thief a stern talking-to.

a boner likes this.
  19. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Naw, the judges today wanna say all the criminals are abused by the police and the justice system treats them unfairly because they came from an impoverished childhood. The thieves will be back on the street in less time than it took to catch them.Judge will probably give them an award for removing a public nusance/polluter......

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this case it sounds like the thief may not be the brightest individual and may not have had a plan except he wanted to snag a car that is so well known in the area he would have a hard time selling or using the parts and not be getting caught.
    Still if he is that well known to the cops judges have let him off time and time again as ekmneiro said. I see that happen here all the time. Guy gets arrested for theft, gets let out by a judge that sees theft as a harmless crime and gets picked up for another quite similar theft before his court date even comes up. I've got friends and relatives who are cops and they battle that time and time again.

On the protection against a jump in it and drive it off thief I got to thinking about a keyless remote battery disconnect and several sources including Summit have them including this one on
    Amazon. For a hot rod with the battery in the back that would be ideal against the jimmy the switch or hot wire boys. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Disconnect-Latching-Anti-theft-Electromagnetic/dp/B01IVNE9MC

olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Good news indeed. Thanks to the LEO's who took this seriously and apprehended these criminals. Now just hope the justice system takes appropriate measures.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  22. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Those detectives need a big pat on the back. Nice to see a car theft story with a happy ending.

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

In New York, the creep that stole the car would be out before the police were finished with their paperwork. Some bleeding heart, liberal lawyer, will argue that the perp was abused as a child and is misunderstood and probably get off with just a warning. Duane is the looser, because the damage is less then his insurance deductible and will have to pay out of pocket to fix his own car. I hope he gets compensated is some way.

24. Posted in NC

25. .........It's been recovered.

26. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

To avoid more unnecessary shares, can the word "RECOVERED!!!" be added to the beginning of the post's title?

Mr48chev, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  27. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Great ending to what could have been another very sad story. Huge ATTABOY to the police involved. I might suggest a look at Watsons' remote battery shut-off. Works with a push button, toggle or touch pad and very easy to install. Nice folks to deal with.

olscrounger and Deuces like this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

We had a guy in Louisville several years ago who stole a car and took it for a joy ride. Picked up 4 friends,3 who were brothers. Wrecked the car and the 4 friends died, but he was virtually uninjured. Received some minimal sentence, apologized to the family, got on TV with his sincerest face and told the world how he was gonna change his life now that he had another chance.
    Been arrested at least twice since then for car theft....Accused the police of being involved in a conspiricy against him...
    Ya really have to wonder why he wasn't in jail for the 1st theft.
    https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ur-teens-in-car-crash-arrested-again/5208015/

And.....another true story, but from my ancient past. Had my car parked in front of my house sitting on a bumper jack while I took the inner tube inside to patch it. You remember when we were young, thats how we did it.
    Anyway, while I'm in the house a guy comes around the corner in a stolen car, makes a wide turn thru the gas station, goes 180 degrees up into my neighbors yard. He tears a bunch of bushes out goes about 160 degrees back across the street and hits my car that is sitting on the bumper jack. I come running out and see the car heading on down the street.
    Turns out that the car belonged to a black serviceman and he had left his buddy passed out in it. His buddy woke up and drove away still drunk. Had IDs of the guy and testimony from the car owner. The judge took one look at my Dad.....who he didn't know from Adam....and said "I know you. I think this was your fault" and dismissed the case.
    I tried to ask how it could be my Dad's fault when he wasn't even there and my car was parked. He told me to sit down and shut up or he would hold me in contempt of court.
    Same Judge got in trouble for carrying a gun under his robe.
    The judges are smarter about how they take bribes these days, and criminals have far more civil rights than victims.
    #*%!+/*##!^;/<#

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    olscrounger likes this.
  29. So happy to hear the car was recovered with minimal damage, great job by the Denver detectives

So many of these kind of threads end up with the owner never being reunited with their cars. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  30. els

els

Good job finding car. Is it one piece, and is the thief in two pieces?