Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stolen? lost?1932 5 windows coupe body, keep your eyes open

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CheatersPete, Feb 8, 2016.

1. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

That totally sucks... wish you the best of luck in recovering it....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

I worked 15 years for UPS in International Shipment Resolution. First, the hard facts. To the broker, freight company, pick-up and delivery drivers, it's just another crate. Everything leaves a paper trail. All investigations regarding missing shipments require lead time. If you were told it's going to take between 60 and 90 days to resolve, that is, before they pay a claim, it's because they want to exhaust all possible avenues before they pay. Make sure your transportation company has a set of the photos you took, especially of the outside and any identifying marks, labels, etc. Once the shipping documents are separated from the container, it's anyone's guess as to where it is. It may sound counter-intuitive, but shipping companies do not want to open containers in an attempt to figure out where they should be going. Luckily for you, the crate is WAY TOO BIG to have gone missing without "help" like a forklift, etc. I agree with other HAMB posters, it's more than likely the document pouch became separated from the crate and that's why it didn't show up. Chances of recovery are quite good, particularly when they start tracing the scheduled routing together with your pictures. "Stray" packages are usually sent to overgoods warehouses where they are logged in with arrival date and a description. On the back of the photos, write pick up location and date shipped, and destination with ETA (estimated time/date of arrival). Once they have identified your missing crate, a simple visual check with confirm your shipping info. To all reading this post, it's ALWAYS a good idea to include from and to info sentciled on the crate or container. Stenciled info can'r fall or be ripped off like a document pouch. Good luck and keep the faith - your patience will be rewarded. lucas

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to be in the be patient camp. I had a custom manufactured item shipped and the shipping pouch got separated from the crate. The shipper did not put any permanent labeling on the crate. He did however take photos and the crate had a unique shape. He ultimately gave photos to the driver that picked it up. The photos made their way along the same paperwork route to a warehouse in Ohio. There it was. They did not open it, they returned it to the original shipper who in turn stenciled the destination all over the crate and re-shipped it.
    Good luck as I know the waiting game is hard.

Larry

Model T1 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

EVERY box and crate I ship gets it's destination written directly on the outside. I don't trust anybody else's labels. And I put another name and address inside the box as well.

I didn't do it on the last one I shipped, but I also think it would be a great idea to paint the crate a really obnoxious color so it could be identified from across a warehouse. How many lime green crates are going to be in that warehouse?

kiwijeff, Model T1 and cfmvw like this.
  5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Stick a GpS in the box.

Truck64, big duece and aonemarine like this.
  6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Hindsight is 20-20; kind of late to come up with preventative ideas-Time to go to the State attorney general's office for advice. Worked for me.
    Then go for the throat; that story sounds like total bullshit. How the hell do you "loose" a roughly 6x8 ft. box??

Good luck with it.

hipster likes this.
  7. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Inform the shippers/transporters that you are getting the insurance ombudsman involved and do it....I did when my 36 ford coupe trunk lid went missing.....strangely after months of stalling my case was settled within days....good luck bud I know exactly how you feel

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Sounds like crap to me too. I live 10 min from Ashland. I'll start asking around to see if any one has one for sale...

9. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Man, that is just awful to hear! I agree...that shipping box/container is way to big to just simply 'gotten lost' in the mail...somebody knows where it is, and how to locate it...paper trails, insurance documentation, and shipping manifests...from point A to point B.....nobody just shoves a box that size into small space and walks away, ...it's big and awkward....I would think somebody isn't telling all the information, or doesn't want to put any effort into it unless forced to play a hand....the freight company manifests should show the last location I would think, where it actually ''stopped''.....good luck man! Really do hope you find it!!!....and soon!

hipster likes this.
  10. Painful story. I hope you have good results. :)

11. There's no words to describe how much that sucks.

It's really none of my business but why not go to Baltimore or New Jersey ports? & Doesn't Virginia have a major port too?

12. "It's not 'lost'... We just forgot where we put it." :oops:

[​IMG]

Katuna, kadillackid and Model T1 like this.
  13. Sure hope you find it......

14. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

I worked for Cragar wheels for a few years and we had an entire semi trailer go missing. It was full of new product for a brand new account. The account had 3 warehouses and 2 warehouse got the product on time and the last one (actually the main warehouse), the trailer went missing for over a month.
    If you can imagine a shipping yard with 1,000 plus trailers lined up. If someone writes down the wrong trailer number when it gets received into the yard, it can take time to find it.
    Brian

hipster likes this.
  15. cfmvw

cfmvw

I sure hope they find it and get it delivered...keep us posted.

hipster likes this.
  16. kingsrex

kingsrex

I don't know what I would do or feel if it lost one of my car's. However I truly hope you get it back, best of luck.

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Clay, I started a conversation with you. Can you check your p.m.'s? Thanks.

18. I'm hoping for a positive outcome.
    Only problem is what it is, a 32 body, and anyone who knows anything about old cars, knows they are valuable.
    When I send stuff overseas, I have to declare what's in the package, so the documentation must have had the contents written down.

There is a good possibility that it has been misplaced, and may turn up.
    I sure hope so anyway.

hipster and PunkAssGearhead88 like this.
  19. stimpy

stimpy

looks like one of the many customs bonded warehouses I used to PU/DEl to in the Chicago area , and many of them were consolidators for overseas shippers , and I used to get stuff from all over to consolidate shipments to other Us cities for rail shipments . amazing how people ship stuff . and amazing how they keep track of it all , I have seen where Us customs would pull apart a container to look for 1 box in the front of it . and some of them containers are like a tetris game the way they cube them out .

hipster likes this.
  20. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I'm guessing this kind of thing happens more than we know. I would suggest a call to Rich at R&R Hot Rod Imports in NJ. Rich and Russ run a hot rod /import/export business in the US and the UK. Rich is my go to guy when exporting a hot rod to Europe and knows more about the business than anyone I know. He may very well have some good suggestions as to how to proceed with the search and being that his partner, Russ, is in the UK he also has eyes over there. Rich is a real hot rodder with a number of very cool traditional cars and also one of the major sponsors of the Dead Mans Curve weekend in the Fall in NJ. Good luck!

hipster likes this.
  21. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

that body is not too hard to id if it comes up for sale (one of a kind)

22. 32Stoker

32Stoker

If it were mine I would call the FBI fraud division and/or get the names of the drivers and immediately hire a private investigator to go after them. The shipping company needs to feel the heat right now! Not in 60-90 days...

hipster and 1927graham like this.
  23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wow....Just wow.

hipster likes this.
  24. chrisp

chrisp

Pete I hope they find it undamaged or that you get a full refund.

25. Any word on this? Did they find the body or is it lost aka swiped?

26. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Shipping company dont kniw where it is , even with the rooting number , and they daid that the shipment wasn t inssured , I dont know what to do but waiting for a miracle

27. Cooon

Cooon

Best of luck finding it, pretty frustrating isn't it.

When my 51 Ford was on its way from LA to New Zealand, it got dropped off accidentally in Japan. Took maybe a month or two before anyone realised, so then it was back on a ship to NZ. Let's hope yours is a similar scenario.

hipster likes this.
  28. Wait. The shipper says the crate wasnt insured, what do YOU say? Do you have any documentation saying you have insurance?

hipster likes this.
  29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Wait a sec...what does them or you having/not having insurance have to do with you getting paid for your loss in this situation?
    Am I wrong in thinking that they must repay you for your loss...even if it means that without them having insurance they will have to do the payout off their bottom line?
    If the car got burned to the ground inside the trailer or something...or destroyed in a road accident maybe...that would be one thing. The car, in its wasted form, is still there in the shippers control in those senarios and I can see the onus being on the owner to have some type of insurance to cover their personal property...but to simply say they LOST IT...tough shit...sucks to be you?

I'm sorry...but thats when the poop would hit the fan for me!

hipster likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's my first question too.....why ship it across country when there are many ports on the east coast? Something fishy there....

Now that is BS! It's not like you mailed a letter, a package that large would be covered by the trucker's cargo insurance. If he told you he had cargo insurance and then actually didn't, then that is fraud. Time to get law enforcement involved. As to not being able to track it via a tracking number, that is also BS. Tracking can be delayed a few days, but they have the ability [or should have] to know when, where and who picked up the crate, and where it was unloaded. There is a paper trail on the crate, it has to stop somewhere. It is possible that it is sitting in a dock warehouse waiting on other freight to fill a ship, but somebody knows where. Unless you have employed some real crooks here, somebody knows something and isn't telling.....

hipster likes this.