Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stolen hot rod in florida

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I agree about the shipping out of the country thing, since 9/11 I bet the ports are tight on checking incoming and outgoing items. Going to the airport anymore is like having an annual checkup ! :eek:

We usually think these cars are taken by some sophisticated ring who shopped for our cars and have an order to fill, but I bet most times they are taken by yahoos who have no plan other than to strip and sell off whatever they can for some quick cash. Some of the cars that have been recovered bear that out, like the 36 that was being stripped in a two car home garage and the parts being sold on Ebay.

No, most of these thieves are not high tech, but just a couple of scummy buddies who see an opportunity and go for it. If you ever watch the Bait Car program it kind of gives you a glimpse into the mentality (or lack thereof) of some of these idiots............they have never had anything, will never have anything, and think nothing of taking someone else's property.

Don

2. I really doubt that it's a HAMBer and pray it's not,,if indeed it was there is no place to hide,,there is gust too many of us keep a sharp eye out for Dave's coupe.HRP

3. Model T1

Model T1

gives you a glimpse into the mentality (or lack thereof) of some of these idiots............they have never had anything, will never have anything, and think nothing of taking someone else's property.

Sadly it is getting much worse. With more people out of work and wanting drug, booze, and cigarette money, they get desperate. After all, when they get caught all they get is a slap on the wrist.
    I heard long ago most home invasion crimes for guns and jewelry are neighbors, friends, or even relatives. In this case it was someone who has been at the house and garage other times.

I didn't want to mention it was a HAMBer. But who knows for sure now days. We're not all innocent angels.

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Not to say this has anything to do with this theft, but I recently read about thieves tracking down items to steal via geo-tracking embedded in the photographs. Decode the geo-tracking info of the pic...check on Google maps and there you go. A treasure map of sorts. It's a scary world out there.

One good thing is the build thread showed so many unique things about the car. A HAMB member could surely spot the car if it were seen.

5. JLeather

JLeather

The thieves didn't take anything beyond the car, which means they knew they were gonna get paid. Sounds to me like there was an "order" out for the car, possibly because of the build thread or just because it was a nice car that attracted attention. I'd be checking with ports and any of the state/county cops near the border. I'd be shocked if they were planning on trying to unload it anywhere in the state. More than likely someone from another country ordered your car. Makes me sick. Same thing happened around here not too long ago with a guy's really nice motorcycle (Cyclone, 1 of 6 in the world). Thieves showed up one night and took the bike at gunpoint, and only took the bike. Here's the story:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/blacksidedown/1914-cyclone-stolen.aspx

The word after the theft is that someone put out an order on the black market for the bike. Who knows where it ended up, but I'm sure it left the country.

I hope they catch the guys that stole your car, and I'm not trying to be a downer, but the car is probably being taken somewhere and I'd work on that angle when contacting the authorities. If the thieves had just been looking for some money, and knew you were out of town for a few days, they'd have taken anything they could get their hands on. These guys seem too focused for ordinary local thieves/druggies.

6. I hope the car gets found. Good luck.

7. HAMB or Facebook... I keep my facebook locked down to only people that are my friends... and I don't generally tell anybody I won't be home (i.e. my house will be empty) until after I'm back.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You guys bring up a very good point, it would be easy for the thieves to be following this story on here and knowing how it was going for them. Dave is being pretty tight lipped about details, which is good. Why let the thieves know if the cops are getting close ?

Don

9. SIC98

SIC98

Just like Tupperware, keepin' it fresh!
    I hope that car is found!

10. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

11. davedriveschevy

davedriveschevy

How is this not pinned to the top?

Anyway BTTT

DDC

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think it should be a sticky too. It would sure save a lot of bandwidth. How about it mods ?

Don

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I recently found a HAMB members house via google maps based solely on what he had posted on the HAMB. took about 5 minutes. it doesn't take much. lucky for him I did it for no other reason than being bored at work and I wanted to see his yard full of cars and junk from overhead.

found another guy who I haven't seen in 25 years from a photo on myspace that showed his car in the background along with the house across the street, and found out what city he lives in on facebook. that one took a little longer. his car was in the driveway on google maps.

it doesn't take that much.

14. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

15. Id like to know what heartless turd rated it below 5 stars. :mad:

16. Just thinkin about this car the other day & was wondering what had be going on. I was blown away by the attention to detail & devotion . So sad someone has to rain on this fellows parade. I'm thinkin all the publicity he got with this ride put it in the limelight for the thieves to steal. Probably in someones collection to not ever be seen again. I hope not & the bastards get caught. Not even a crackhead would show that car in it's present condition. J M O.
    One reason I don't post many pics of my shop or rides or what I am doing & where I am going. Just tooo many eyes out in cyberland. Back during WWII there was a saying "Loose lips sink ships". Might have been one guy telling another & so on .
    Dave so sorry for your loss & hope your pride & joy is recovered soon & in the fine shape it was in when stolen.

17. ol fueler

ol fueler

Bob, I have been thinking along those same lines . Been a lot of alerts about sdtolen cars on here lately, I am wondering if there might be some rat bastards who signed up with the hamb, just lurk in the shadows while they gather information to help them go and do something like this.
    What is sad is there is NO WAY to ferret out anyone like that, many people are on the HAMB who seldom post for whatever reason and just read what is posted for education or entertainment.

18. I don't know but they ain't got the guts to say they did!:mad: HRP

19. Dirty, rotten, scum sucking, lowlife take other peoples things.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  20. redroaddog

redroaddog

back to the top

21. Back to the top for the evening. I sure hope this car is found!^^^HA! Got me by one minute.

22. knotttty

knotttty

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I read that enter build about a month ago and was blown away by the car and how nicely it was built...... Then to see this. Makes my ass hole pucker and my stomach come up to my throat and I just walked to my attached brick garage and double checked all doors widows and locks... If my precious coupe came up missing I would not even know how to continue my days .. Soooo sorry to hear .. People these days... Can't work a real honest days labor, instead they steal and live off there gatherings .... F Ing bottom feeders !!!!

24. TBARA Wildchild

TBARA Wildchild

While it was being built, I would check on it every day to see how Hot Turkey was doing on this build. This totally sucks!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: Hope you get it back!!

Doug

25. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Back up to 5 stars, back up to the top.

Scotty

26. michev

michev

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Back up top for the nightowls.

Don

28. This has upset me greatly reading this. Im very cautious of who comes to my place, its not the people i know, its their friends friends that im worried of. Really hope this ends well and the scum bags responsable step infront of a truck. JW.

29. farmer12

farmer12

That sucks. Bttt.

30. This made me angry. All the best in finding it!

I figure this should be pinned too..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.