Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stolen 57 Chevy found after 30 years headed for down under

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Yep, that's a true story. How many posts do you see here where somebody recovers a car out of a gulley or stashed in the woods and the property owner has no clue about it? So you save one of these, you get it all squared away with your local authorities and rebuild it, and then some guy from another state turns up with the title and a police theft report for it... Are you going to hand it over to him without a whimper?

There's probably at least 20 cars out there with questionable ownership for every one that's found like this case. And it doesn't have to be just cars; it can be parts too. I bought a '55 Chev from a guy in the early 70s with major wiring issues. Got it home, and a local druggie promptly stole the late-60s ET five-spoke mags off it. I turned in a police report, figuring that's the last I'll see of them. Surprisingly, I got a call from the cops a few weeks later that they'd recovered them but there was a problem; seems the wheels had some ID marks stamped into the backs and they had been stolen before several years earlier. I got them back, but only because the insurance company had already paid off on them and didn't want the hassle of dealing with them being the 'legal' owner.

2. I can't help but wonder how the car was sold several times before it was discovered to be stolen.
    Hope my stolen 30 ford closed-cab shows up some day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I can't figure it out, there is a guy on here right now that bought a model A frame and drive train and the guy wouldn't give him the title and there 's guys on here saying you shouldn't have a problem(the title #'s are stamped on the frame) ,I know every state has it's rules but what am i missing here,i think this guy is setting himself up for the same thing

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Simple...The guy [seller] is using the title for a body he has?...

5. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's how I roll!

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i bought a nice black and white 57 belair 2dr hardtop no engine no trans for ten dollars in 1968, it was gone when i came back with a towbar still have the title somewhere---think i should try to run the numbers ?

7. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

There was a OT car that was on a guys property from previous owner for over 10 years. The new owner contacted old owner and found out it was a POS that a friend left there. Fast forward several years and new property owner's friend got the car and and working with the state of Idaho received a new title. He then did body restoration, interior work all being documented on F###Book. He had a new engine ready for install as he announced on his blog. Something came up and he did not get it in that weekend. Monday morning car's past owner showed up with old title and sheriff expecting to drive away in restored car. Restoration guy figured that old title holder had been watching restoration through F###book, waiting in the shadows. He gave up the car and all the work he had in it as a tough lesson learned. Makes ya think, don't it.

8. ^^^^^That should not have happened. When done properly, a lien sale is final and binding. I placed a lien on an Austin Healey, years ago. All of the rules were scrupulously followed. The previous owner was sent a registered letter, a newspaper notice was run and the waiting period was observed. All previous claims to the car were null and void and the car was mine.

9. jeff47wl

jeff47wl
    from sunnyvale

If any state agency (dmv ) issued a title to this vehicle to any of the so-called previous owners I would think the state should be liable to any of the privious owners who got a state title to the vehicle and should be reumbursed by the state. The state's should have some responsibilty on how the titles were issued.

just my opinion

jeff