Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stole this from another site-check it out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Jun 24, 2010.

1. redsdad

redsdad

2. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

They have this stuff called Wax you put on your car to stop rust from coming back!
    LOL

3. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

That car is here on the HAMB. I saw it posted awhile ago.

4. metalman

metalman

Does anyone know what this would do to chrome? I just put a set of old chrome reverse wheels on my Ranchero, they are in great shape except just a little rust down around the lug nuts that I can't seem to get off with steel wool.

5. xadamx

xadamx

I was just wondering the same thing...I don't see why it wouldn't work as well, or better. Chrome is very hard and the CLR just attacks the rust.

6. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Pretty dam hard to belive ya can learn something after all these years but THANK YOU the hamb, the hamb ,the hamb, tanks 46 , rosco

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

hmmm!! my wife gave me about a half bottle of the stuff awhile back and I have no idea what she used it for. She just said, "I'm done with it you can have the rest". Now I'll have to find something to try it out on.

Frank

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  8. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

I bought a bottle some time ago, very light rust or stain comes off fairly quickly but heavy scale took multiple dip and scrapes, as far as using it in a flathead block it would take forever i would imagine and then since it says not to use on copper or brass you might ruin your head gaskets ? It will work ok in limited, specific ap's but its not the magic rust be gone we're lookin for and then you will have it to unclog your shower head!

9. i have an old hurst 4 speed shifter boot the type with the chrome metal piece in the top with the "H" cut out of it it had some rust on it so i poured a little CLR in a bowl and put the piece in it for a couple days the rust stains were gone and the chrome was unhurt except where the rust had eaten through it

.... never thought about trying it on rusty painted metal gonna have to now thanks for the tip

10. jpm49c

jpm49c

Like others said, It's acid. You need to neutralize it with vinegar or baking soda or it will keep eating away at your metal.

11. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

so how do you neutralize it? rub itdown with vinegar or baking soda after you clean it, or put that in the mix while you clean it?

12. Jax2A

Jax2A

Vinegar is acidic... how do you neutralize an acid with another acid? Is my chemistry that rusty? (Need some CLR for my brain apparently.)

13. budd

budd

CLR and then colored wax, be just like having a paint job.

14. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I have used clr, electrolysis, oxalic acid, molasses and media blasting. While they all have their place and I like them all, you really should try Evapo-Rust. Safest Rust Remover seems to be the same type of thing but I can't get that around here.
    Non-acidic, bio-degradable, paintable, non-toxic... safe stuff that works.
    They use "Selective Chelation" (lots of chemistry talk) to attach to the rust and pull it off the good metal.
    Go to www.safestrustremover.com and check out the "Full image slide show" on the left. It's amazing stuff.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

hahahaha, Theres this even better stuff called paint that I find to work amazingly well but I dont want to be an out cast by admitting to its use.

16. It works well on chrome.... lots of guys "boil" radiators with it too. CLR and distilled H2O in the radiator, run the car for a couple hundred miles and flush. I have yet to personally use it as a radiator flush, but know a few guys that have. They swear by it.

17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Mix some baking soda with water and rinse it down after the CLR application.