Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stock steel wheels for 1958 f100.Other questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clyde Walker, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Clyde Walker

Clyde Walker

I have a 58' f100 I just bought. Originally a 223-6 3 speed manual truck. Paid $350.00 and its pretty descent! :<)
    1) What other 15" Ford steel wheels will interchange that will accept the stock dog dish hub caps? It currently has a set of wide chrome/steel mags with beanie centers. They are actually quite nice. Not my bag. I am taking this in a different direction so... They go. So far wheels I have found that are 'original' 57-60 are priced silly high. So that has me looking for options. Not interested in any wide wheels. Skinny is O.K
    2) The truck right now has an AMC 232 or 258 I-6 Likely a 232. Great running little motors! Is it possible the original Ford 3 speed is behind it? ( I highly doubt this) Clutch slave is mounted higher than pictures I have seen of the stock transmission. It has a later style Ford starter on it on the drivers side. Maybe a 3.03?
    I don't even know if it runs yet. It cranks. "Many a slip twixt a cup -n- a lip" . so we will see. Dragging it home to Michigan from (way,way!) Western Washington the week of Christmas. I will put an effort in then. Looks like the original 3:70 9" rear is still there so if it does run (like on all six) it ought to scoot. Light truck!
    If not. Oh well...
    Going the Y block/cast iron Automatic transmission route ultimately.
    3) Will the Y block drop in on those mounts I see up front?
    4) Driveshaft, splines/length to use? Truck is the short bed.
    5) Transmission mount to use?
    I know the shortest path to glory is a 57-60 Y block parts truck (or car?). Not sure how many will be available in south East Michigan. Thats why I am seeking the insight.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018