Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. This thread is the greatest.......It will take a while but looking forward to going though all the pages, too bad some pics are Xed out.

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

SPOT ON George.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do think that had GM not bowed out of racing in 1963, Super Stock and maybe even Factory Experimental would have been an even bigger show than it was. If the non-racing edict from GM had not been enforced, Chevy would have produced enough Z-11 Chevy's to be competitive in S/S. Same for Pontiac and the Swiss Cheese Catalina's. Pontiac at leased did produce a few 421 Tempest LeMans' to compete in F/X before the ban in 1963. Chevy never did build a factory produced F/X car. And technically, neither did Dodge or Plymouth (the original Altered Wheelbase Mopars did not qualify under NHRA rules for the class). So other than the half dozen 421 Tempests, only FoMoCo produced Factory Experimental cars, with the Ford Mustangs (10 or so original cars in '65) and the Comet Cyclones (20 or so in '64). Who know where S/S and F/X would have been if all the factories had still been in the mix?

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had mentioned above somewhere that the S/S class did not exist prior to 1961. This was not true, the S/S designation existed in the Stock Car category at least as far back as 1958 (I don't have any NHRA rulebooks earlier than 1958). The thing is, I am not aware of anyone falling into that class prior to 1960.

And of course, the S/S class did not exist at the Winternationals until 1961, for the simple reason that the Winternationals did not exist prior to 1961. Before that, there were no other NHRA National events except the once a year U.S. Nationals.

I first became aware of the S/S class in 1960, at the U.S. Nationals. There were at least 3 Pontiacs (389 inch engines in 1960) running in S/S, and two of them were sponsored by Royal Pontiac, a stick car and an automatic car. The stick car (driven by Jim Wangers) eventually took home the Stock Eliminator trophy. I remember Dick Jesse drove a Pontiac too. I don't think there were any Fords or Chevys in the S/S class that year, although I may be wrong about the Fords. I think all the Chevys (348 inch) were running in A/S. I seem to recall two Plymouths, one driven by Al Ekstrand, who won the S/SA class (beating a S/SA Pontiac in the final).

I don't think that NHRA (or anyone else) had any idea how popular the Super Stock class was about to become...

5. The mustangs were deemed legal for nhra but technically illegal due to the wheelbase mods over 2 percent.

6. NO.
    What I'm saying is this thread is entitled
    Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966
    Therefore it should only contain pictures of cars from that era.
    A picture of a SBC Super Stocker from 1972 or newer does not fit the time frame of the thread.
    Obviously, it doesn't fit the the year/ model parameter either, if you so decide that's what the title means.
    You can write about and show history, but you can't re-write it.
    BTW, the Cal-Van picture is wrong too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I collect vintage (another word for old) photos of vintage drag cars for my website. Some (or most) off the internet and some from people who are nice enough to send them to me. Many of these photos I can't use, not because there is anything wrong with the photos, but because they are either not old photos or not old cars (my cut-off is usually 1966). I look at the cars, does it have the flat style hood scoop that was typically after the 1960's or later? Does it have wheels (some of those Center Lines) that were not available until after the 1960's were over. Does it have a roll bars that were not the type used in the 1960's or earlier? And then there is the background. Are there EZ-Ups in the photos? Are there concrete guard rails? Are there cars in the pits from the 1970's or 1980's or later? After awhile, you can get very good at identifying a vintage photo of a vintage race car, and separate the "nostalgia" cars that are basically "fake news", at least on my site...
    20451845_668629759901_1208662196499473730_o.jpg
    Is this a vintage photo of a vintage S/S Dodge? The car, maybe. The photo, nope (the DARE program did not start until 1983) and the pick-up truck?...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hubert Pulley Z11 from NC.

Attached Files:

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thank you. ^^^

loudbang and enloe like this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Tidesco from Pittsburgh PID..

Tidesco 63 Impala.jpg

11. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hubert Pulley Z11 from NC.
    Joel

12. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Kentuckian, Are you familiar with this document? I'm curious about the statement saying the inside of the rear vent opening in the hood needing to be taped shut. I've never seen this on any tbolt undergoing tech inspection back in the day. Thanks, Len Freebern

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

That was something that did not get enforced. There is still a rule that says a S/S hood scoop cannot have more than one opening. Since the Thunderbolt did not have a front opening, the rear opening is allowed.

14. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Well, that's what I thought. Then I considered the two headlight openings with the ram tubes to the carburators. Wouldn't that count as an "opening(s)?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  15. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

It is an opening but the rule says "no more than one opening in the hood." The openings are not in the hood. At any rate, NHRA accepted the ram tubes from the removed headlights as the car was manufactured .

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and hendelec like this.