Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. guffey

guffey

Say Hi to Marion for me here is a photo of the Corrupters pup Marion was the second owner and call it Satans Chariot

Attached Files:

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

3. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

Great shot of FIREBREWED on the return road at Detroit Dragway.Car was a survivor and is being restored.

4. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

We will be at Chryslers at Carlisle July 9-10 with samples of the 1:18 Altered Wheelbase '65 Plymouth drag cars. Check em' out in row I space 62 in the swap meet. Anyone else going?

5. zrxlover

zrxlover

Thanks for the picture and yes, I will tell him high for you. I spent the whole day with him yesterday at his sons funeral.7/7/10 I will be checking on him today to see if I can comfort him if he needs it?

6. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Joel,
    Great thread! PMed you. This thread is pushing me to get back into the garage again and start working on Buzzard II. Bob Lintner

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

Bob,
    Good to hear from you. I sent you a private email.
    Joel

8. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

Joel I have a picture of the car when Dick ran it at Beeline. Dick borrowed the car and talked me into having Hubert build me a Falcon.
    tommy

9. Falconred

Falconred

What car are you talking about??? I couldn't make a connection. Any post with Falcon in it is an interest to me. Please give me a way to go back and find it.

Thanks

10. Moose223

Moose223

Are you talking about Hubert Platt? of the Platt Bros. out of I think, N.C.
    I have a buddy that raced with them moons ago and we have spoken about him and the ass whooping his builds did in N Kentucy. If you get pics or other info please let me know if you would be so kind.

11. storm king

storm king

Don't know if I posted these here before, but here's ours back in the day...First photo is my brother and I and our dog, and you can see my Dad's '62 Chrysler and my brother's then new '68 Road Runner, one of the very earliest one's built, in the background. The tow car is my Mom's '67 440 GTX (she was a school librarian, and drove our super stock Dodge on occasion too. Next is our superstock max wedge and the hemi injected altered wheelbase car. Note the kill stickers in the max wedges rear quarter windows. 52 trophy's in just two seasons of racing in N.Y. and N.J. Our one and only family prtrait ever taken. My Mom was one of the first people to begin the concept of crew uniforms that looked professional. Hard to imagine for kids today, but back then, branded clothing wasn't around. Sure, Roth and some had airbrushed Tees, but we had to order Plymouth patches from the dealer just to put one on our jacket pockets. Those were the best of times....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

I was told my 62 Hayden Proffitt car was a converted 61 car.
    tommy

13. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

It was a 446 ci Z-11.
    tommy

14. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

It was Pyote, Tx. The track was an old runway and was so slick everytime you touched the throttle the car would go sideways. Neither one of us could run any quicker than low 11's.
    tommy

15. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

HUH?

Can you elaborate or share some more info, maybe some pictures?

16. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

Fenner had them build a new AWB car to run me for the Drag Racing List. This wasn't the A990 car/
    tommy

17. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

18. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

The John Turley car was the ex-Fenner Tubbs S/S car.
    tommy

19. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

That's Teal and Therwanger in the former Dick Harrell Z-11
    tommy

20. marke

marke
    from Ocala,FL

I've seen some pics of Foster Mays '65 Plymouth "The Wildcatter." I believe that my family has the '65 A990 car that he got new and raced from Ripley, WV. My youngest brother bought the car in FL in '84 from Al Courtney who came from Akron,OH. Al passed away several years ago and we didn't get any info. from him about it's history. My family moved from FL to TN in '86 and the car has been stored away. My brother passed away several years ago in a car accident and now my other brother and I are trying to learn more about it. Through some of the vintage Mopar Super Stock community, we've learned recently that our car was once "The Wildcatter." The car is medium blue metallic and has an altered wheelbase w/period correct A/FX fiberglass bumper, hood, fenders and doors. It has "Al Courtney" on the quarters and "Just Bad" on the doors. It had a 440 6pak in it and the front fenders were bolted to the hood to tilt forward. Although in rough condition, we knew from the VIN what it was in '84 (there is a short feature on it in Oct, 2010 Mopar Collectors Guide Magazine p.80). Any information or more pics would be great! We really are interested in finding out who altered it and when. What paint scheme did it wear after first altered?

Mark Emerson
    352-854-2602
    <!-- / message -->

21. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

Thanks Larry, everthing is going well. It was great to talk with you. Jim Elgan sent me a bunch of pictures of Dick's cars. They're great. One is on my Chevy II hd borrowed to finish the 65 season with. Talk to you soon.
    tommy

22. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

I don't have any pictures of the car. I got the car from Teal and Therwanger who got it from Bill Thomas.
    tommy

23. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

It was Pyote, Texas. It was an old runway that hadn't been used in years and was so slick that everytime you touched the throttle it would turn the cars sideways. The best we could run was low 11's.
    tommy

24. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

Okay, thank you.

I didn't get the photography bug till later myself. I wish I had more photos of my ride when I got it.

Say, isn't Hayden Proffitt still living here in Texas?

The color pics were taken with a Polaroid instant film camera.

The B&W pics were taken with a 1930's Kodak Brownie box camera.

I'm still searching for pictures of it from the 60's when Charlie McElroy ran it on the drag strips in the north Texas area. He called it The Pied Piper

Attached Files:

25. thunderplex

thunderplex

I think this may be the same car, it was originally a Hubert Platt ride.

Attached Files:

26. Race Artist

Race Artist

Tommy's Falcon was a seperate car ... he had Hubert build a copy. Here is a a picture or two of Tommy's car.
    Joel

Attached Files:

27. fanspete

fanspete

Heeeyyy, I've got the original steel header (nose) panel off of Larry's Pontiac. Bad ass bunch you fellas are!

28. HPB43

HPB43

Joel,
    I was with Shaker Engineering from 1963 through 1968, worked on the 409, and the Camaro, and currently own the Camaro. The Camaro is restored to the 1967 SS/EA NHRA specs and we currently race it occasionally at Martin Mi, and at some nostalgia events.

hpb43
    Herb Brinn

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hi Herb,
    Thanks for the information on the Shaker cars. I had heard of the Camaro being restored. Do you have any pictures or recollections of the 409 that you can share? The Camoro would be welcome also.
    Joel

30. HPB43

HPB43

Joel,
    I have one good picture of the 409 that I will scan and add to my album at hpb43. There are pictures of the Camaro and two of Ben Wenzel's cars cars in the album now and I added one of the photos of the 409 that you posted.

Herb