Register now to get rid of these ads!

stock, refreshed Y Block...8MPG?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eagletucky, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Gents,

I have a 1962 Ford Ranch Wagon that I picked up 6 months ago. When I bought it, the motor had sat since 1983. While the motor ran, it burned oil at an alarming rate. So, I decided to open the motor up and see what was needed to help in this regard.

After a thorough inspection, I made the decision to replace all the bearings, rings, oil pump, gaskets. I had to grind the crank and install 0.30 bearings, as there was some damage there. NOTE: i did not do any work to the heads, other than a simple cleanup.

After the motor was put back together, I started tracking my gas mileage. With nearly 1000 miles on the engine, I am only getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon. At this time, that is a huge hit on my budget and ability to drive this thing. The motor runs great, idles well, has good throttle response. and burns no oil.

Other info:

The car runs the stock 3 speed manual, no overdrive.
    Stock rear end, I believe the ratio is 3:71 (I know its in the 3:70's, dont have the car with me)
    Stock 2 barrel ford carb.
    Running 215/75/15 tires.

Basically, this car is completely stock. I feel as if it is properly tuned and runs well. The MPG number is killing me.

Any usefull suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Ole don

Ole don

First, pull the distributor and have it checked on a machine. Second, find a fuel mixer that works. I cant imagine how that much fuel can run through a 292 and it still runs right. Are there leaks in the fuel line that only show up while driving? I have run two different 312's in the past few years, 15 to 19 MPG at 70, with wild cams and compression. My stock 272 did 21.5

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

As you mentioned that you did nothing to the heads, you may have badly worn valve guides

4. Its a Y block,. Don't expect good mileage..:)

5. Moedog07

Moedog07

Check Heads and fuel line / fuel tank. You could do a leak down test on the heads. I bought new 3/8 fuel line and a new gas tank on my '55. I did not trust the old stuff.

. I would think your milage should be in the teens, 12-15 mpg. You might consider a 4bbl carb like an Edelbrock and free flowing exhaust. What do you have manifolds? Headers?

6. Are you just enjoying the new throttle response, runs great, etc. a little too much? Look at your driving habits since the rebuild. A '62 Ranch wagon is an awful heavy car for a 292 to do much without using a lot of fuel.

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, that sounds about right. My fresh 272 in a fenderless 34 coupe with 3:1 rear end gear gets about 16... That's about the best mileage I've ever got with a Y block car/truck...

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'd guess I get about 16-18 MPG out of the 312 I have in my Model A PU. It has a progressive 3x2 (97's), 4spd, Mallory dual pt, and 3.50 out back. You have quite a bit heavier car than I do so you should expect worse mileage.
    Even with a small 8 gallon tank, I need to get out to stretch more than I need to stop to refill.

9. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Dude, I get 10- mpg in a 56 f-600 ( thats right 2 ton ) truck even doing 65 and driving the piss outta it. i think you have problems... oh my rear end is a 2 speed which is 5.83 - 8.11 so Its pretty much low and ultra low

10. afaulk

afaulk

When I was as John Wayne called it "a yonker" my buddy's mom let us take the car to the theater on Sat. nights. It was a 57 Ford, 4 door, with a 312/2 barrel/automatic. Now my bud was a responsible young man (nerd) and was very careful (and slow) always drove the speed limit. We could drive to town and back, almost 30 miles each way, on 3 gallons of gas. That was $.50 each for gas. We're talking 1967 here. There's something amiss with your gas mileage pard. My 73 model 3/4 ton pickup with a 454 got 12mpg towing a car and open trailer. If your engine and tune up are ok, start with changing your gear ratio to a 2.70.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

From contemporary road tests your car should get 16 - 18 MPG in normal driving. Maybe a bit more, being a standard trans.

If you do a lot of stop and go, traffic driving that will kill your mileage.

If compression is good it's time for a careful tuneup (valve adjust, ignition and carb in that order).

Maybe even a different carb, I have heard certain Motorcraft 2 barrel carbs from the 80s will really boost mileage, some of the Ford guys may know which one.

12. Check your oil for fuel dilution, either unburned fuel getting past the rings or a faulty fuel pump that's allowing gas to find it's way into the crankcase.

Check the choke for proper operation. Make sure that after running a few minutes the choke valve is fully open.

Get after the tune-up. As mentioned already, check the distributor for bushing wear, make sure the mechanical advance works freely and that the vacuum advance still holds vacuum. If it isn't already, try connecting the vacuum advance to a source of manifold vacuum, not ported vacuum.

Consider rebuilding the carb or if you're not up to it find someone else who's done it before.

Get yourself a vacuum gauge, connect it to manifold vacuum and strap it to your steering column. As much as possible try driving it while keeping the vacuum as high as possible. This alone could be good for an extra 1.5 MPG.

You said this has a manual transmission? You don't have a clutch slipping, do you? :rolleyes:

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

take out that slug and put in a 400 Pontiac. I used to get only 10 mpg in my old Pontiac, but I could burn rubber for blocks.

14. I have a 56 T-Bird, 312 Y Block all stock except for headers and dual exhaust. It also has the dreaded T Pot 4 barrel and Load A Matic distributor with an automatic. It gets 16-18 MPG driven fairly hard - and it has 100,000 miles on the motor

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

I"M sure it got an autolite or a holley check the power valve. Bad power valves makes them thursty.

16. I got 8 mpg in my 56 Victoria back in '68. I never got any better than that.

That was to school and to the mill for work.

I did drive it hard though. Sometimes I didn't get 8 miles to a transmission...

17. Mattilac

Mattilac

I regularly got 16-18mpg in my shortbed F100... and that was BEFORE I rebuilt it.

18. anteek

anteek

Get a dist. for a '60's pickup. The older ones didn't work by advancing the timing but retarding it.easier to tune.

19. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

20. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

check plugs to see if your running rich. as the guys have mentioned check ignition system and fuel system. also look for a couple of reversed plug wires.

21. SimonSez

SimonSez

Y-blocks changed to centrifugal advance in 57, so as long as you still have the original '62 distributor it should be the right one.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure the advance is working properly though, as running retarded will kill the power which will hurt the mileage.

22. TERPU

TERPU

Check your plugs first, read them and that'll tell you if its rich. I suspect it is. But if they are looking right then check your timing. It is not the most efficient engine, but should give at least 12MPG. I don't know about the other guys but mine always liked 2500-2800 RPM and seemed to get the best mileage there. Gear ratio will be your friend here, and if I lugged it the gas mileage seemed to go way down, if I over revved it it wanted to heat up. So me and it developed an understanding and never had any more problems. They are great engines and very dependable.

Tim

23. I think I remember some Ford sixes laid out that way but I hadn't recalled the V8s being like that. There was even some models that had vacuum ports on both sides of the diaphragm to provide both vacuum advance and retard. Not even sure if was on a Ford or not. Might have been an early smog motor set-up.

24. S.F.

S.F.

yep, sounds like she's running perfect. Ive had alot of Y block powered full size cars. They all got shitty gas mileage. 10-12 mpg...or less.

25. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

If you want some help, call Ted at Eaton Balancing. He has been machining and assembling Y block Fords since the 1960's.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It amazes me how guys take an engine thats tired, put a crank and bearings in it (whatever it needs) and expect it to be a new engine. Am I off base here? :D

27. Tim,
    I would start with having Bubba put the distributor on his machine and ensure the vacumm advance is working properly. Take a look at the power valve in the carb and ensure it is not blown.
    On reinstallation, double check to make sure the distributor is clocked properly and the timing is set correctly.
    All of this should at least get you into the low teens on mileage.

28. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Clean and rebuild the carburetor.
    Clean and rebuild the distributor. Make sure the advance is working right. Advance the initial timing but not so much as to cause pre-ignition (gas knock). Set the point dwell at 29.

29. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Maybe you just suck at math

30. suede57ford

suede57ford

Make sure your motor has the later model dist. Make sure the mechanical advance is working. Check the points, weak points kill the mileage. The Vacuum Advance can add some mileage as well. Set you initial timing higher, maybe 12-16 degrees.

The sugestions of checking the powervalve as it could be the problem too.

The modern composite head gaskets are much thicker than the original steel shim, which lowers your compression, which affect efficency.

I would expect you can easily get 16-19 mpg if the motor is tuned properly.

My '57 Ford Cutom Tudor Sedan with a 312 Y-Block got 18+mpg with a 2-4's set-up on Power Tour a few years ago.
    I changed it to an original VR57 Ford Supercharger set-up with a single four and it got 20mpg on a following Power Tour. Not only did the mileage go up with the blower, but its much faster too.

The '57 has a tremec tko 5spd and 4:11's. I'm sure the OD helps my mileage as well.