Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stock or Ididit type steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bounder, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Bounder

Bounder

Well here I am back asking questions again. Can I go to a you pick it and get a steering column for my Merc or do I need to buy a Ididit or Flamin River type of column? I am using a C6 and don't want a floor shift in the moredoor.
    Thanks for any help.

2. I wound think you can sill find something in the yards although it should be from the earlier models,,what's wrong with modifying the original column? HRP

3. Bounder

Bounder

The original is straight shift and I'm going auto. Just thought that was the easiest way. Not cheap but easy.
    You wouldn't know any Teasley's in Anderson?

4. When I built my old 40 Ford sedan I used the original column and fabricated linkage to use the original column shifter to engage the transmission.

I do know a few Teasleys. HRP

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could connect the linkage from the 2-3 shift arm to the shift arm on the trans so that you could change gears on the automatic pretty easily but it will take a bit of figuring out the linkage. The only issue with that is that you wouldn't have a shift quadrant to show what gear it was in but you can probably use replacement parts to do that.

The main issue with using a newer then 68 Column on a traditional rod or custom is that the newer ones are big, bulky and ugly in an early car or truck of any style. The older columns were slimmer and the top where the turn signal switch and horn mechanism were were/are a lot smaller.
    I like the 70/72 Chevy pickup columns for simplicity and the older Chevy van columns are popular for their clean look looks while having an automatic shift lever. You might also want to look in late 60's early 70's Ford pickups for a column with an automatic shift lever.

I'd still use what I had and build the linkage and lock the 1-2 arm so it didn't move.

6. wizzard23

wizzard23

We put a Flaming River in our 50 Chevy . I guess its ok, but damn pricey and the billet shifter really don't match the car.

7. There’s not much info on the steering setup in your Mercury but if you’re interested in a Ididit column, I’m assuming you have installed a modern steering system of some kind and need a column. I used a 56 ford column in my 30 Coupe (for turn signals) and really like the way it works. I vote you consider modifying your Mercury column and using it. :)<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

8. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I used a column out of a 65 Corvair when I needed a simple clean one for a build a few years ago. Anything pre 67 is going to not have the crush zone built in, I think it was about 69 that keys in columns became standard, at least for GM products. Pretty much everything 55-65 is going to have turn signals yet not be big and bulky, or ugly plastic. Some even have tilts. My local yard doesn't even hardly have any cars fron the 80s, much less anything older but yours may.

Devin

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Use the stock one but if you must change it go as old as you can find .... the newer the uglier

10. I just put a Flaming River column in my 51 Merc to replace an '85 or so Cadillac column. I have a 700R4 in mine, so I had to have a linkage similar to your set up. I'm sure most any older auto column you find in a yard would work fine and dandy if you wanted to go that route. I liked the Flaming River column for mine because it didn't have the key on the column and the dumb cable shift linkage like the caddy column did. I will say that I ditched the billet levers for some more appropriately styled chrome ones...LOL.

11. Bounder

Bounder

Thanks drdave I am still running stock steering and just feel with an engine and transmission change I need a new steering column and probably have to get off my billfold and buy a Flaming River or Ididit. Which model no. did you get? Dang they're expensive. I want to go with power steering and brakes also.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you can use the original column, its pretty easy to do, just have to be careful because it won't have the reverse lock if your manually shifting. if you want a tilt/shift, a descent column is the early to mid 60's Ford columns out of a Galaxy,Mustang, and some others that im forgetting. The turnsignal lever releases the tilt, so no extra lever..

13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Years ago, I used a 63 Ford car column, removed the Ford shaft from it, and welded enough of the Mercury column to the bottom to make it fit the Mercury steering shaft, and then used a modified original mercury wheel on it. I had to install the later cancel cam, and horn button contact in the Mercury wheel.

14. RR496

RR496

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

use the stock column if you can--convert it as others have said--not hard to make a dentent/lock plate on the bottom at the shift levers--have done many 40 Ford columns in this manner converted for an auto trans

16. go to the limeworks website and check their shifter assembly for automatic trans.

so nice. i'm putting one in my plymouth.