Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stock Model A Crossmembers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbousman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jimbousman

jimbousman

I'm installing an S10 T5 tranny behind an aluminum Buick small block and with a Jag rear end. As luck would have it the trans ducks under the stock center crossmember perfectly (Better than the T5 conversion for the stock motor) Also the jag rear fits under the stock rear crossmember with the pumpkin tucking up nicely under the original spring arch. My question: Is there any reason not to use the original crossmembers of I box them and reinforce the joints with weld?

2. I'm thinking you should box the stock frame rails at a minimum, maybe add some diagonal bracing to the center x-member to frame. How does the jag mount in the rear? You may replace the rear mem with tubing to make it a better mount?? Not sure how they get attached.
    RB

3. Koz

Koz

4. jimbousman

jimbousman

Thanks Guys,
    Koz, did you weld the joints on your crossmembers or just leave it to the rivits to do the job?

Jim

5. Koz

Koz

I boxed the frame around the crossmember but left the rivets intact mostly because I just like the way they look. If you look at the pics on my build thread they show how it was done a lot better than these pics. If you can't see how I did it give me a PM and I'll forward my cell#. I've done a bunch of these like this and it works real well.