Register now to get rid of these ads!

stock distributor to new Mallory DP-8BA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlamCouver, Jul 12, 2011.

1. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Hello all,
    I am in the process of switching my Stock vacuum advance distributor to a New Mallory Dual point with mechanical advance on an 8ba engine. My question is how to remove the distributor gear and install in on the new shaft. the new distributors shaft doesn't have a hole to run a pin through to secure the gear. The directions I got are piss poor period, Have you done this conversion?

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

blown up diagram of a stock 8ba vaccum adv distributor would help as well.

3. PM: GMC BUBBA, he is the Dizzy Master....

4. Flatman

Flatman

Here ya go.
    Flathead_Distributor_1950to53.jpg

Flatman

5. Did you buy a new in box or is this a rebuilt older unit? If it is a new unit, DO NOT DO IT. There have been many reported failures of the new Mallory stuff, the new stuff is junk right out of the box! Bad condensers, Bad points, Poorly adjusted points, Advance set up for SBC, Poor insulation causing grounding issues, ......, the list goes on. Get a hold of GMCBubba now before you install, he has seen many if not all the failure modes of the new Mallory distributors.