Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stock distributor performance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Sep 23, 2019.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So what's the deal with the LOM distributor?
    I read that it need ported vacuum, so why cain't one just drill the carburetor for ported vacuum?

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Supposedly, even when tuned up and working "as advertised" they are pretty doggy. It's my understanding they used a kind of venturi vacuum for advance, and manifold vacuum to retard timing. Most people seem to be a happier with a post '56 dual advance distributor. It also allows for a different carburetor.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So, gut the vacuum advance and run a cable from the breaker plate to the throttle linkage.

Boden likes this.
  4. Boden

Boden

Really???

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Boden

Boden

Is that possible?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Mimilan

Mimilan

Attached is a PDF
    http://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/FORD TFI electronic ignition.pdf

The TFI uses points as a trigger only, so there is very little current across the points. The only wear in the points would be the lobes/follower [which would be considered a moot point]

HEI modules can also be points triggered ,but there is a major difference between the two.
    The HEI fires when the points close, whereas the TFI when the points open. So there is no Rotor phasing issues with the TFI.
    Most electronic kits available are only "points eliminating kits" whereas the TFI gets more energy into the system.

The original idea came from the HAMB
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/modernized-ignition.352124/#post-3809716

Attached Files:

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Anything is possible. If the breaker plate moves then just figure out how else to move it. Would it take some time, sure. A cam shaped cable pull should be able to do it.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, manual advance was a great feature on Model "A"'s.:D

saltflats likes this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Manual ignition advance/retard from the cabin would be handy at times

saltflats likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Boden,

I think most of us have done this. That is purchasing a really neat part and finding out it does not fit our needs. On the contrary if we insist on using it, it can be detrimental to our ultimate goal.

I’m working on a ‘64 Fairlane. I have a vintage Torker intake. To use it would change the direction of the build and it’s a direction I do not want to go.

To use the LOM distributor you will need to run a single LOM compatible carburetor.

Or...

Use an old or newer Mallory.

Use the Ford pre-49 59A crab or earlier distributor. ( requires a early timing cover and camshaft) These had mechanical advance.

Use a machined distributor customized to fit the 8BA.

Use an aftermarket unit with proper advance.