Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stock A Frame Front Crossmember Q

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by louisb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. louisb

louisb

I have a stock '29 frame for my AV8 project and the front crossmember is just bolted in. I plan to weld it in during frame construction and this got me to thinking about pushing it forward one inch. I will be running an 8ba so I could use the extra room. Other than not being able to run a stock hood is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks,

--louis

2. I think the xmember is set at 7degrees.

3. I moved mine 3" forward but had to straighten the horns to do it. I think it moves forward an inch just fine. But as Texas Webb said above, it has to sit flat "as it was" so the caster does not change.

4. BJR

BJR

You will have to move the wishbone rear mount forward the same amount.

5. True that! Was assuming split bones....

6. I moved mine forward about 2" on a 32 frame.................
    We used split bones and made our own center cross member/tranny mount.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

image.jpeg My RPU is 2" forward on A frame, split A bones. Out handles a lot of my friends cars!

louisb and sko_ford like this.
  8. The '29 frame horns take a dive pretty quick just in front of the stock location. That can be overcome but that is the biggest reason not to move it forward too. You can straighten the horns a little bit or shim the spring, you will still need to overcome suspension lift if you don't straighten the frame horns, wither by flattening the spring or dropping the axle or both.

yes it can be done but this is what it will take to do it.

9. louisb

louisb

Thanks guys but I have pretty much decided against. Goes against my KISS principle.

Thanks,

--louis

10. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Keeping it simple is usually best. My frame came to me that so I just went with it. Rpu shur handles good though...
    Keep at it! Johnny

11. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

I am curious.

Why does pushing the crossmember forward give you more room ?

12. Radiator mounts on crossmember, move crossmember forward moves radiator forward.

13. Bader2

Bader2

8ba fits without moving crossmember,or cutting firewall. A mechanical fan is the problem,but I used an electric.problem solved.

14. Mechanical fan isn't that big a problem if you jam the mill tight to the firewall and jill flirt the rad a little bit. it can be done.

The '30/'31 is easier, you can reverse the firewall and gain some room. In fact that used to be a common modification. But the '28/'29 can still fit the flatty, its not like trying to throw a 302 jimmy in one. LOL

15. louisb

louisb

Electric fan wouldn't fit the car's theme. (early to mid 50s) Just kicking around ideas as I get ready to start the frame work.

Thanks,

--louis

16. I think you can make it fit without moving the cross member. If you drive really fast you don't need a fan. LOL

You will do fine, just remember to thiMk.

louisb likes this.
  17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Could we see a picture?

Have you trimmed the inside of the stock crossmember to give the 8BA room?

Another option you could consider would be running one of those SoCal 32 style front crossmembers since yours is just bolted in currently anyway. Just mark off where your stock one is located front and back first because the holes on them may not true up to your particular A frame. It will also need some grinding on the bottom tabs to get it down to A channel size.

[​IMG]

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  18. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Over here, if we change the wheelbase, we get into all sorts of drama with the engineers and the bureaucracy .

We would have to get a chassis torsion test, and do a road handling test with an accredited driver on an accredited track to get rego.

I thought if it was a just a fan issue, it would be easier to just add two radiator mounting tabs on top of the crossmember 2 inches forward.

19. I'll bet a T on a deuce chassis is a pain in the but then. :D

I think that al lot of places outside of the Americas have that problem.

20. Bader2

Bader2

They're plenty tight but they go! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452116097.057647.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452116132.075940.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452116152.477879.jpg

21. louisb

louisb

I will make it work with the stock location. Thanks for everyone's input.

--louis

22. All this is good reference as I plan on shoehorning an Olds 303 into a 29 on A rails for the next project. Figure I'll push the front crossmember ahead 2" or so, and have to recess the firewall some. I want to run full fendered, so stretching the frame isn't an option.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm saving this one as the question of exactly where to set the 8BA in to keep the radiator in it's stock location on my 31 Vic is one that I've pondered a lot lately. I'm another of those planning on running full fenders and a stock hood top so moving the radiator forward is out. Plus I do want a mechanical fan rather than a street rod fan.

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You can stretch the running boards... 2" without moving the fenders forward might cause problem with the tire in relation to the hole

25. I had thought of that after I posted. Honestly, at this point, it's all brainstorming. Until I get the car in the garage and get started on it, I won't know for sure what I have to do.
    Course, I have to finish the current project first... :D

26. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

just locate motor and trans off of stock model a rear and torque tube. Everything will work its way out from there.