Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stock '48 Ford F1 Brake Master Cyl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheCreeper, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

Google has failed me. Cardone's tech manuals are non-existant, so I remembered (I know...I'm slow) Somebody at the H.A.M.B knows the answer...

I've been working on my '48 F1 for a couple years now. Getting closer to street deployment, but I'm still a ways off. As with everything else on this re-build I've had to replace the master cylinder. I have 4 projects I'm working on at the same time (1949 Ford Tudor Sedan, 1956 Chevy 210 two door post and a 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 XL 2 door), so I'm always working with a shoe-string budget.

Instead of going disc brakes out of the box I just opted to go stock for now. I order the replacement Cardone brand M. Cylinder (p/n 13-21050). When it came in the first thing I noticed was that the cap was different in that it had both a large and small cover. See image. Pulling the small cap I see what appears to be a metal sleeve at the bottom. Trying to unscrew the bottom,, larger cap I put so much effort into it that I thought something would break. Before I get my 4' cheaper pipe on this thing, have anyone else seen one like this? Thanks in advance.

$_32.jpg

2. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Mines the same way, if I remember correctly the ring your seeing is just that a crush ring.

3. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

So to fill the reservoir you only open the brass fitting and not the larger black cap that it screws into? Seems like it would take 30 minutes of dripping the fluid in. Thanks for the reply, btw.

4. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Mine is the same as Yours, large cap came off easily. Same brand as yours, bought it off of Ebay installed and bled brakes Surprise Surprise it LEAKS.

5. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

Yoinks. Dang...I bet I could have save a few bucks getting it off of eBay, especially seeing as it's junk. I was thinking that the small cap is probably for remote reservoir installation? idk...everything with this truck has been an interesting challenge so far. lol

6. Andy

Andy

I welded up 4 pieces of 1/4"pl to form a square. The three bolt pattern was on one side and a late model two bolt on the other. I used a Camero cylinder. Really cheap at Autozone. The same thing I have used since 1970 on everything. No tapped holes. I like nuts and lock washers. This is on a 45 Ford truck. Dual system and easy replacement. I have never replaced one.

Attached Files:

7. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

Nicely done, Andy. I was hoping to get the brakes back up with minimal effort, though. This master cylinder has me scratchin' my head. I guess I'll get my 4' cheaper pipe after all. lol

8. fortynut

fortynut

Make an adapter (use you ingenuity) and use a dual master cylinder from a GM car that did not have disc brakes, eliminating the need for later worry when you add disc brakes and can change the master cylinder without needing a 'new-to-you' adapter. I have a '48 Coupe I'm building and, with the exception of your instance of not using ndisc brakes, (I worship at the disc shrine as I go up the mountain of parts it takes to build a new ride; and after my '37 believe in being able to stop fast and quick); at least that's what I'm up to with a zealots desire to use the stock pedals. I am going to row this one with a T5. There are some caveats, of course, piston size(s) should match the Ford OEM set-up. After all, are we not Hot Hodders? Certainly not Restorers. Break It and Fix It Faster, should be in a frame in your shop, along with K.I.S.S. . Same as it should grace those all who fly the Jolly Roger with crossed wrenches. Good Luck with your Ride.

9. oj

oj

When you get it in the truck and have to bleed you'll understand the smaller top, its so you can reach down thru the floor and open the MC, otherwise you are laying on your back trying to put the big lid on upsidedown and unable to see anything.
    But, I might be wrong.