Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stinger roadster on model a frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bbhf, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

Can anyone tell me if the 27 stinger roadster body will fit on a stock model a ford frame? His roadster looks great, and would make a nice project with a flathead engine. Skip

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what's a stinger roadster?

3. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Gee, why wouldn't the OP just call or e-mail the company?

5. Beau

Beau

You just have to pay someone to put it on.

6. Model A chassis is pretty damn simple.
    103 inch Wheel base.

Yea what's a 27 stinger roadster ?

7. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

i have talked to the owner and he was very helpful but could not give me a deifinitive answer on it: the shop is in indianapolis, ind: the body is a 1927 ford roadster that has been stretched a bit: two operating doors and deck lid: cool looking car: was hoping that someone here might have done the build: i have all the parts for the build but would like more info before springing for the body: thanks, skip

8. It is a bolt on if the stock dimensions are maintained other then length. You land the firewall in the stock location and let the tail hang off the back. You may want to relocate the rear end to accomodate the difference in location of the wheel wells. This can be done by stretching the fram a little and moving the cross member or by mounting the spring before the axle instead of over or behind.

Find out how much it is stretched and that will tell you what will be involved getting the rear where you want it.

9. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

Thanks for the info: i like the look of this body style: skip

10. Maybe if you get us a picture we will like it as well. I followed that link that someone posted and all I found was a pic of a track nose and a bunch of pics of a pickup.

11. oldolds

oldolds

12. Well it is stretched 5.5" Probably need to move the cross member back a bit which will involve stretching the frame a bit. No hill for a stepper.

it is build to look like it has belly pans which is kind of neat.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what the web site has to say about the modifications.

Cockpit Stretched 5 1/2 Inches
    Doors Stretched 2 1/2 Inches
    Cowl Tipped 3/4 Inches

(All pictures courtesy of the Stinger web site.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaten to the punch again! I must be getting slow..........um, make that slower!:rolleyes:

I'm always a couple of steps behind you 'Beaner', one day I'll get my act together!:D
    (Then again probably not.:p)

Doc.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is it offered with normal length T doors? The above photos just scream "I'm Fat!" I'm not and wouldn't want people to think I was. Bob

16. Well remember the 4 door duece thread and bringing your mates along? I don't have many mates anymore if you catch my drift. :D

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you got plenty of mates here on the HAMB. You just need a 'virtual' 4 door Deuce!;):D

Doc.

18. I do have a half pint of SC single malt in the living room. ;)

19. Beau

Beau

It'll make a beautiful Street Rod. But for the cost of that thing, I'd imagine you could find the original tin and be much happier.

A reminder, a refocus.

20. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

It was because of the extra room that made me look into it. I will look into it more. Skip

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We saw one at Billetproof a few years back. Looked like someone fit a schrader valve to it and overinflated it!
    Fatter than a '29...proportions are weird. The '29 A roadster is the next chronological styling step, NOT fattening a '27. Henry is turning in his grave. (so's Edsel)

22. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

Hmmm! Might have to rethink this or go with a real one. Sk

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the first thing you want to find out besides the price is the distance from the firewall (leading edge of the body) to the center of the wheel well where the axle should sit.

Their chassis has a 107 inch wheel base while the stock model A is 103-15/32 according to the book sitting beside me. You can figure that the extra 3-1/2 inches is out in front of the firewall and not and issue.

I went out and looked at what's left of a 27 T touring body front half I have out here and it measures right at 28 inches across between the front of the cowl sides. The frame on my Model A is 28-1/2 or so right at the cowl so you should be able to fit the body on the frame without a lot of hassle.

OBTW the stock T door opening is only 19-1/2 inches so 22 inches really isn't all that long of a door.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I opened a multitude of stuff and didn't see a price anywhere. It's also 'glass, and some 'glass body builders are pretty "proud" of their product. Any help?

25. One Finger John

One Finger John

It looks like you sit in the body instead of on the body, if you get what I mean. Longer doors would allow easier ingress and egress.

Would the longer doors make your ass look bigger. That's a chick question.:p

John

26. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Sure it will fit.

Will it look wrong?

Probably.

Why go traditional and use a Model A Ford frame when the body isn't a traditional body?

A fella has to have a vision, and stick to that vision. If the stinger body is a larger than stock scaled up version of Henry's ole Model T than your chassis needs to be scaled up with those same larger proportions. Thus the scale will look correct.

Make sense?

I have a stock bodied '27 T RPU. The body is pretty darn small for my 6'-0" frame and after about an hour of driving it's time to pull over and stretch the ole bones. So I get why a fella would want a bigger version, but if you're gonna do it, do it proportionately so it looks right.

And when your done, you want get any respect here... 'cause it ain't traditional, so it doesn't belong here.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  27. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

i agree with looking to scale: guess i will stay with a model a body on a model a frame: thanks for the replies: sk

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you think that screams "I'm fat!" wait until you see the bodies somebody makes where the whole side opens up back to the turtle deck! YEOW

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The one with the track nose isn't all that bad looking, but I think to make it work you need to go with their entire assembly, frame and all.

Don

30. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

i agree: i will keep looking: sk