Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stiffening visors for 70+MPH use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NVScouter, Jun 30, 2010.

1. NVScouter

NVScouter

OK after sifting through many visor posts I have my next question.

When driving my 53 Bel Air the visor is fine under 60MPH but over that it starts to flop a bit. The Visor is a 2 piece unit with a spot welded seam. It attaches to the side channels above the doors and a center "C" style post in the center.

Have any of you stiffened your visors with more sheet metal, cross beams, etc? I really like the look of the visor but I do 70+ regularly and I would hate to rip it off on the highway.

Ideas?

2. NVScouter

NVScouter

Bump.

Anybody?

3. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

Is there enough space behind it so the air can get back out? Maybe just changing the angle a bit will make it better. It sounds like a turbulence problem.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm not a fan of visors myself, but I have louvered a few for people over the years to alleviate the problem your having.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Louvers or holes in the visor. Or, trim the back side of the visor in several places where the visor meets the roof to let more air out (would look like LONG louvers). Braces on the inside? Gary

6. NVScouter

NVScouter

Good ideas!

I'll try the angle a bit first and I think it does have a stamped lip on the back if I remember correctly.

Thanks guys