Register now to get rid of these ads!

stick shift trans identification.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thirdyfivepickup, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

This is for my photo-hosting-challenged buddy silent rick. He says its a t10 and was told it was of Mopar decent. Anyone have a clue as to what this bad boy may be? There is a little aluminum tag, but it is illegible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

Looks like a T-10 from a Ford. Mopar, as far as I know, only used the 833 and the extremely rare "Pont A Mousson" 4 speeds.

3. squirrel

squirrel

how can we tell what it is, if your hand is on the input shaft so we can't see it? :)

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I think T-10's were put in Mopars before 1964....but not the hi-po Max-wedge cars (had 3 speeds), as they would blow 'em......the A-833 was based off the T-10, Mopar just increased the size of everything in it to withstand MOre PAweR....

5. looks like a t-10 casting date i june 24 69' what is the input shaft length? 9- bolt side cover my guess is ford. t-10's had 10 spine input shaft and amc t-10's input shaft were 8"

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I don't know the length on the input shaft... sorry. That is silent rick's hand obscuring the view in the previous picture. I am actually a hand model and take offense that you thought those were mine :).

[​IMG]

7. silent rick

silent rick

thanks for posting the pictures mike.

here's more info. the input shaft is 8 1/2 inches from front of case to the tip, 10 spline. that's longer than the top loader fords i have. i couldn't read the front of the tag, but after lightly bead blasting the back side, i'm able to read 3197057 and AS4-TIOV. the date code is 1969. i was told it's mopar and somewhat rare.

all my searches came up empty. i'm counting on the hamb. you guys have never let me down yet. thanks to everyone for looking.

8. squirrel

squirrel

9. silent rick

silent rick

i found some stuff. it's amc. supposedly, the T10V indicates close ratio.

thanks everyone

10. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

After a little research, I'm gonna have to say AMC. First one is AMC, second, 1965 and up Ford, third, Ford, '64 and back, fourth, Mopar 833. The third one will bolt right on my original Packard V8 bellhousing. I'd like to find one. To quote from the gremlinx.com website:

"T-10 Ford case looks the same, but the bottom left bolt hole is kicked out toward the drivers side . In AMC case the bottom right bolt is kicked out toward passenger side. Input shaft, tail shaft and tail shaft housing are different and can not be used. But most internals of the Ford, should work since they use the basically same case. (though are geared differently)"

Attached Files:

11. if it's amc with the 5 rings on the input shaft it's 2.23 ratio first gear. let us know.

12. Tore

Tore

Borg Warner

13. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

thanks for the help. This place continues to amaze me on a daily basis!

14. It is definately NOT a MoPar application - especially if the case is dated around '69.

I think they MoPar may have used them in '63 in non-maxwedge applications ( I once had a 23 spline input T-10), but from '64 thru the 80's it was A-833's all the way.

Chrysler always seemed to prefer to use New Process transmissions over the B-W transmissions.

15. silent rick

silent rick

the websites i've found say amc, 2.23 first gear, close ratio.

thanks for everyones help. i searched borg warner t10p-1b and kept getting no match found. i left off the (-1b) once, and a dozen pages show up. i can't sell it if i don't know what it is. i'm taking it to the HRCC garage days swap meet. if it doesn't sell there, i'll offer it here. cast iron case t-10's are heavy, i'd hate to have to ship it.

16. send some pic's to the local amc club. is their a local amc wrecker in your area. check with the local napa guys or get online for a local chapter. check with the local 4x4 shop they are jeep guys and they ran lots of 304's.

17. farna

farna

I'm probably the biggest AMc/Rambler nut on the board. I don't need a T-10, but send me a PM with your loaction (city and state is good enough!) and I'll send some AMCers who want one your way.

18. Nortin

Nortin
    from Canada

I'm looking at the Hurst shifters transmission ID charts here and judjing from the (1) almost inline 3 shift forks
    (2) triangular shaped area with 3 tapped holes for mounting shifter
    (3) 9 bolt curved bottom side cover
    (4) comparison of this threads pics with Hurst chart pics ,, I'd say >>> Ford/Mercury B/W T-10